Hook mustad size 16
Thread UTC olive 8/0
Body pearl flashabou
Thorax tip of black ostrich herl
Hackle sterling
Smuggler

Re: Midge

Post by Smuggler » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 pm

I could see this fooling some picky fish. Very nice.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 pm

This is a very slick pattern. This is a where you might offer me some insight. For the past couple years I've been moving away from offering more of a bare hook and choosing hooks with the desired length. I wonder if some midge patterns benefit from the longer shank as part of the overall offering? I've always like the associations of our current soft hackles with the Clyde, Tweed and Tummel styles of North country spiders and putting the effective pattern on a hook without regard to the percentage of bare hook to the dressing has always seemed a bit of a charm. I guess my ignorance in fishing midge patterns comes to play at this point. I'm just looking for a bit of discussion about how we make that decision.

This is a beautifully executed midge pattern by the way. I sincerely hope you don't take my comments above as a questioning of your choice, honestly just a point of curiosity and maybe a bit of an educational request.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:21 am

The fish we catch obviously ignore the hook as a hook but might appreciate how it behaves and how it is dressed. Like you, I wonder what decides the reaction of the other fish, those that don't eat our offerings. Likewise, how many fish inhale my offerings without me even knowing?
I buy the concept of not adding anything to the hook that puts the fish off - the theory of less is more - but I don't know just where I might cross the line. Most classic patterns are classic due to being effective when used the right way during the right circumstances.

Good enough/right way/ right circumstances; see - I told you nothing that you did not know. Sorry...

dd
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:25 am

All I really know is 1 I hate dry fly fishing, 2 when the fish are eating midge's on the surface I throw something like this, 3 I have never had an issue with showing too much hook and I Like the way it looks, 4 I have found that fish really go after these minimalist type flies especially in clear water which reinforces #3. But I am still always surprised that the fish don't seem to be bothered by showing a lot of hook and I wonder why that is. But seeing is believing.
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:12 pm

fishhead wrote:All I really know is 1 I hate dry fly fishing, 2 when the fish are eating midge's on the surface I throw something like this, 3 I have never had an issue with showing too much hook and I Like the way it looks, 4 I have found that fish really go after these minimalist type flies especially in clear water which reinforces #3. But I am still always surprised that the fish don't seem to be bothered by showing a lot of hook and I wonder why that is. But seeing is believing.

I am just making a correction here. I don't hate dry fly fishing, hate is a strong word. I just do not get any satisfaction from catching fish on a dry fly. I realize there is skill involved with presenting a dry fly through varying currents to picky fish but I can't help to feel like I'm cheating somehow whenever I catch a fish on a dry. It's been about 3 or 4 years now since I have put one on the end of my line. But I don't want to take anything away from dry fly fishing, it's just how I feel.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:14 pm

We present flies to please the fish. Sometimes that's on top, they can't help it. :D

This is a nice thread.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:23 pm

I always carry a small box of dries just in case I can't get them to take something else when they are feeding on the top but I can be pretty stubborn. And I get so much satisfaction out of being able to catch fish below the surface and I just do not get that same feeling when hooking a fish on the top that I never end up opening that box of dries
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:48 pm

fishhead wrote:I always carry a small box of dries just in case I can't get them to take something else when they are feeding on the top but I can be pretty stubborn. And I get so much satisfaction out of being able to catch fish below the surface and I just do not get that same feeling when hooking a fish on the top that I never end up opening that box of dries
To each his own ;) :twisted: .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 pm

tie2fish wrote:To each his own ;) :twisted: .

Couldn't have put it any better myself