Grouse and Goose Twist Softhackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NJpatbee

Re: Grouse and Goose Twist Softhackle

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 am

That is a great looking fly! Now I have worked with goose quill fibers but have never twisted it with silk before. Could you give a description of this process or point me to another thread where it may have been described before? Thanks.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks for comments.

Pat, I am not sure at this point when I started doing this. Probably something I saw someone else do, and it has a long history, back to the earliest North Country spider lists, on flies like the Spring Black or Black Gnat. I like to wrap herl fibers forward from the bend to the hackle and rib them as much as anyone, but I really get excited about a mottled body that is slim and textured. The twisting of the silk with the herls adds a lot of durability to the body like twisting the peacock herls with a wire or thread to create a rope, only the rope created with 2-3 goose quill fibers or pheasant fibers is very slender. Tie in 2-3 herl fibers from a tail or wing by the tips, usually around the thorax area and tie in a length, or sometimes two of silk and bind these all down toward the bend of the shank, careful to make sure the last wrap or two are not as tight as the rest. A hard wrap at the point where you are going to bring the herls forward will break them off, sometimes even with the silk twisted in. Bring them forward in touching or less than touching turns, spun very tight like a cord or more loose. Sometimes I take an extra turn of the twist over the previous at the thorax as a kind of bump behind where the hackle will be wrapped. Just the smallest suggestion of thorax. Sometimes a pinch of dubbing behind the hackle, sometimes not. :?

Here are a couple examples of other flies that I have tied with the same technique. There must be dozens of them on this site, but a simple search left me overwhelmed. I typically call the body a twist, just to distinguish the body construction from a herl/rib combo. I wouldn't say one is more effective than another, but it appeals to me and they are very effective. A bonus is the messy, arbitrary body result which makes these very fast to tie.

Light, Medium and Dark Twists, and a few more.
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5770

March Brown Twists - go all the way to the bottom of the page. I like the golden pheasant twisted with the silk.
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5317
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:06 pm

William - Thank you for the detailed description and the links to additional similarly tied flies! I am very impressed with the thin but textured body that results as opposed to wrapping the silk over the previously wrapped fibers or herls. This is next on my list to learn and practice, and thanks again for displaying and describing the technique.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:33 am

Here's another tied using the same technique. This is one of my favorite results. The herl is a turkey tail dyed olive, twisted with primrose silk.

http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ive#p21175
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:59 am

Sweet! Very nice.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:08 pm

That on a dreary spring day with olives in about a size 18? Forget it. That's seriously the only pattern you'd need.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:54 am

You boys are very kind. :)
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:49 pm

William - what type of silk did you use?
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 pm

NJpatbee wrote:William - what type of silk did you use?
I have a few types, but for nearly all my bodies I use Pearsall's gossamer silk. Great feathers in MD carries it, as does Jimsflyco. Give him a call and see what he has.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 am

William - I have been using Pearsall's Gossamer but cannot seem to get the look of your examples, although each of the flies I have tried tying are very fish worthy. Looking at your examples I suspect I am winding the goose quill fibers and silk too tight but I will keep at it.