Soft hackle emerger for swap

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fishhead

Soft hackle emerger for swap

Post by fishhead » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 pm

So I need your guys opinion. This fly is really at the peak of my abilities and a little bit risky as far as something I can do that is also presentable. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use this pattern I came up with or do something I can nail perfect. So would you guys be happy with this fly if you were given this in a swap? I tried to mimic a emerging insect if you notice I made the tail end of the body straight rib material to imitate the shedding portion of the insect and I am happy with how that came out but also at the same time I'm wondering if this is just to much of my own need to find something of my own to come up with for this swap?

Anyway
Hook lightning strike scud emerger size 10
Thread Uni dark brown 8/0 and light yellow 8/0 missing label for some time so that's the best I got
Tail brown biot
Body and rib. Root beer vinyl and then light brown rabbit dubbing in the back and tan rabbit mix in the front
Wood duck CDC and then white hen for the hackle

I'll do multiple angles so you can really see what I came up with here. And be brutally honest with me guys.

Mataura mayfly

Re: Soft hackle emerger for swap

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 am

If it were me, I would fish it as is....... but possibly more as a drowned crippled emerger than one that is going to sit just in the surface film.
I could be completely wrong, but with the size and weight of the hook and material choices, I feel that particular model may tend to sink more than just about swim.
Either way, there is no reason I can see to not fish this pattern and I am willing to bet it will take fish no problems at all.

Oh, by the way, I would be more than happy to receive this fly in a swap. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:08 am

Thank you, you are correct this will probably sink and thanks for being so thorough with your comments
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:23 pm

In my opinion all this fly needs is to be on a smaller hook to be representative of an emerging chironomid or mayfly.

There are some patterns that don't look pretty no matter what level of ability the tyer has. There's some emergers tied with snowshoe hare foot fur that look like someone bundled hair on a hook and called it good. They don't look pretty but conversely they do catch fish.

I'd be very happy receiving your fly in a swap and I'd probably use it as inspiration for imitations styled for out here. It's something seeing a slurp in the general area of where you think your emerger is, tightening up and finding a fish on the end of your line.

I haven't tried looping CDC for wing buds yet. I've done the bush method.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:25 pm

This is a fine pattern and depending on who your swapping with, they really should be very happy to receive such a well thought out pattern. I agree with the previous comments, this fly on this size hook is going to sink quite a bit and that really might not be a bad thing. There is a lot of great stuff going on here. The overall construction is based on some sound principles and there is lots of mobility and vitality in the wings and hackle. Should be a dynamic pattern. For myself, this design looks like it would be a killer on a #14 or #16 as you've got a portion of the nymph and the emerging dun, and will rest higher in the water. I like to see the takes when possible and this fly a few inches below the water will be a lot of fun to fish. If you've ever joined one of the swaps on this forum, you'll know we have some exceptional tiers who put a lot of thought and time into reproducing impeccable flies for sharing. But I joined my first flymph swap a few months after I started tying and the gang was very supportive. It's all fun. Thanks for sharing your patterns with us.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:15 pm

I really appriciate the great feedback provided by you guys. I kinda knew I should use a smaller hook but my hook supply is getting thin so I was trying to use a hook I had enough of without having to go and buy more but I guess creativity can't be hampered by what hooks you have and I would have had to get more soon anyway. I'll have to try and make it to my local store and pick up some lighter 14 and 16 emerger style hooks over the weekend or early next week and I'll post the result once I get one tied up