Swap Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Swap Fly

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:56 am

Bill,

Do you notice any change in the material when it dries? I'm wondering if the material shrinks at all when it dries out. Has this something you noticed?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Unlike George Constanza, I have not noticed any shrinkage, Ray. But as long as it doesn't split or break, a bit wouldn't hurt I guess. I have a few flies that were tied several days ago with no visible change. There is a color change, however; the life-like translucence goes away, but that should come back when wet as long as the material isn't coated with anything. In that regard, appearance trumps durability for me if "the look" interests the fish. I can always tie more flies.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bill - I got a good laugh out of your comment. That was a great Seinfeld episode. :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Bill,
First-class, as usual. I don't know about the rib, though. Didn't you have any fine wire to use? :D
Lance
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Bill, thanks for spelling out your process to get this result. It might at least give me a better start, not expecting to get this kind of beautiful product.

In the other thread, you and Bob Kern offered quite a lot in terms of the background to some classic dries that used the raffia. I still can't see how Leisenring was drawn to the material as a durable body, but seeing your fly is compelling. Nice job.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Very well done Bill.

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 pm

...wow. Bill, this is just amazing. I'm not really surprised though I must say. Raffia is a little daunting to woork with but, after reading how you were able to get it to cooperate for you I might give this a go just for fun. I think I still have some natural raffia laying around that William gave me once.
drlogik

Post by drlogik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Tie2fish,

That's a really nice job on that fly! Raffia is not an easy material to tie with. Proportions are good and a really good job on the hackle wind and head. Nice work indeed!

Grant
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

http://www.drlogik.com