Swap Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Swap Fly

Post by tie2fish » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:47 am

A photo posted previously of the Leisenring Pale Watery Dun Wingless pattern I chose for the upcoming 10th Anniversary Swap was tied using synthetic cream Swiss Straw for the body. Since then, friend Lance Hidy has shared with me some of the natural raffia grass that William sent to him, so I am re-doing my swap hatch to conform more closely to the original specs:

Hook: Vintage Edgar Sealey dry fly, Size #14 (thanks to daringduffer for ebay tip ;) )
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #3, primrose
Hackle: Light honey dun hen
Tail: Light honey dun rooster hackle whisks
Tag/rib: Fine gold wire
Body: Natural raffia grass
Pale Watery Dun Wingless ~ Raffia Body II.jpg
Pale Watery Dun Wingless ~ Raffia Body II.jpg (160.17 KiB) Viewed 6590 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
swellcat

Re: Swap Fly

Post by swellcat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:04 am

It can eat crackers in our beds, anytime.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:37 am

swellcat wrote:It can eat crackers in our beds, anytime.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D Best compliment ever!

Bill - That's remarkable. Thank you for putting so much effort into the swap. Every time you do one of these you somehow keep raising the bar. The best part is, I get to see them in person and keep one for myself! Can't wait... :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:18 pm

two thumbs up!!
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Can't wait to see that beauty Bill. Fine job!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Stunning tie Bill, you're a master at this fly tying biz and a true inspiration my friend. Can't wait to see this one up close, what a treat...
Karsten :D
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Oh my gosh Bill,
Drop dead gorgeous I say! And you have mastered the raffia, the brittle grass! You are the man!
May we see more?
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 am

Bill, you've really nailed this one. I tried a dozen times to get an appearance I admired with all the required materials and never really liked the flies, but this looks awesome. Beautiful proportions and the body on this is exceptional. I knew you'd master this grass if anyone could. I'm sure you should have a card of this stuff as everyone seemed to get a card of it a couple years ago when I was fooling with it. The basket weave grade of raffia came on a skein that never seems to change sizes no matter how much I send around.

So, did you take a single strand and split it down the middle to decrease the overall amount? How did you get such a nice taper with this stuff. The book says to either treat the raffia with varnish, or not. On your finished fly it looks fantastic dry, but when wet it's really going to take on a deeper, juicier look. This is fantastic.

This is my attempt at understanding the pattern. It's really nice to have your example of the fly for a reference. Carl tied one that is at the bottom of my thread. Now I'm thinking I need to revisit this.

http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ing#p68187
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:42 am

William Anderson wrote:

So, did you take a single strand and split it down the middle to decrease the overall amount? How did you get such a nice taper with this stuff?
The batch of raffia that Lance sent to me contained a bunch of pieces, ranging in width from a bit over 1/4" down to less than 1 mm. I took one of the wide pieces and cut off two lengths of about 2" each, which I put to soak in a small dish of water. After about an hour they became totally limp and pliable. After some trial and error, the following is how I ended up proceeding:

After wiping the excess moisture from one of these pieces, I use my straight tying scissors to make a cut in one end about 1/8" wide and 3/8" long parallel to one side. Then, while holding the end of the larger piece with one hand, I grasp the small loose end with the other hand and pull straight up, causing the thin strip to split/tear away in a straight line. When tying this piece in on a fly, I fold/roll the end to make it even smaller.

The body taper is built up with thread wraps after the raffia is tied in. The damp raffia is surprisingly strong and pliable, so you can tug on it pretty good while making the forward wraps. It doesn't take long to learn how hard you can pull (I broke a couple during the learning process :oops: ) and how much forward tension is required to get the stuff to lie flat.