Red Wire Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NJpatbee

Red Wire Soft Hackle

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Well, I was looking for something red to try out the macro feature on my camera and I came across the "Red A** Soft Hackle" on the web, which I decided to rename for display on this forum. The pattern shown contains:
- Size 16 1XL/2XH hook
- Thread: 8/0 Red Uni Thread
- Abdomen: Small Red Ultra Wire
- Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub with a few fibers protruding rearward
- Hackle: Brown Hungarian Partridge

Quite frankly I have never fished this pattern but to me it does have that "about ready to explode to the surface" look. The wire adds a little weight so it will be fun to see how it fishes.

Bill - Thanks for the picture cropping tip! It took some trial and error but I am starting to get the effect that I want.
tie2fish

Re: Red Wire Soft Hackle

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Looking good! Crop that another 1/4" closer on all sides and you're up close and personal.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:57 pm

That is a nice looking fly. I immediately started dreaming of trying these out on brook trout. I bet they would go crazy for them.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Looks like an very effective fly!
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the comments. I still have a long way to go with my photography (lighting, angle of shot, background) but it was good to get some usable results.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:31 pm

letumgo wrote:That is a nice looking fly. I immediately started dreaming of trying these out on brook trout. I bet they would go crazy for them.
I bet you're right. I have a load of wire bodied softies in my boxes and they often do very well. This one is quite bold, but I know that can be productive in some situations. Nice pic too.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
paparex

Post by paparex » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:47 pm

William Anderson wrote:
letumgo wrote:That is a nice looking fly. I immediately started dreaming of trying these out on brook trout. I bet they would go crazy for them.
I bet you're right. I have a load of wire bodied softies in my boxes and they often do very well. This one is quite bold, but I know that can be productive in some situations. Nice pic too.

w
Interesting enough I often have found this pattern to be effective before, during and after a PMD hatch. On the White River in Missouri and Arkansas, this pattern with thread instead of wire is a "go to" and it is considered a caddis pattern. Either really dumb trout or dumb fly fishers. Effective, just the same.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Looks like it would be a good match for PMD, tied with thread body. As is, with bright red wire, looks like it might be a good roller for pre-spawn trout with affections for red.

~Steve