Tiny Snipe and Purple

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NJpatbee

Tiny Snipe and Purple

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:35 pm

OK, I should have trimmed that small piece of purple thread but my point was to show a tiny soft hackle fly tied using a method that I have seen some of you describe where you can size a larger feather to a smaller fly. I may have posted this link some time ago, but it gives a good detailed step by step of the method:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox ... rentID=155

By the way the pattern is tied in the traditional manner:

Hook: Size 20
Thread: Pearsalls Gossamer Purple
Abdomen: Pearsalls Gossamer Purple
Thorax: The smallest amount of darker hare's ear
Hackle: English Snipe

This smaller version of the Snipe and Purple is extremely effective during the Little Back Caddis hatch, and throughout the Summer and Fall when trout are sipping on small stuff in the film.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Tiny Snipe and Purple

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Size 20? That is tiny! You've done an impressive job, keeping the proportions so nice. Not easy on on such a small fly.

Roosevelt looks pleased with the results, too. ;) :D Happy Presidents' Day.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Very nicely tied! 8-)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:29 am

I wholeheartedly agree ... that is very nice for any size and especially for a #20.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks for the comments. The technique for sizing a larger hackle to a smaller fly has been around for quite a while - it takes some experimenting to manipulate the hackle fibers around the fly and initially tying them loosely enough to spin with subsequent tight wraps but the final effect is very similar to a traditional wound soft hackle.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Pat, I'm sure I've never tried these in a #20 but I know there is a time and place, and when the time comes you'll be ready. It's a nice tie. Spring is nearly here and I feel like I have a lot of tying to do. I have a lifetime supply of flies, but there's always this uneasy feeling that I need a couple more. This might be one. Certainly a few in #18 and #16 would be a good idea. Just in case. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com