Hare's Ear Brahma Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Hare's Ear Brahma Flymph

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:40 am

Sorry to just get back to this one. Thank you all for such nice comments. This one is one of my favorites.

The up-eye hook is an old Mustad 3913B Sproat. It's a cool hook and I've tied lots of flies on this hook. Especially Grizzly Hackles (a grizzly hen hackle and peacock herl body) and a few sets of flymphs. I just like the attitude of an up-eye hook on lots of softhackles. I wish they were more common. Honestly, in terms of fly design, presentation and up/straight/down eye hooks, I like them all and would be foolish to make claims about the action of one over the other. Some folks have opinions about angles and leverage, but you can't know what micro currents are doing to the orientation of your fly underwater. Gape size, wire gauge, shank length all critical, but not the eye angle. On the other hand, I love the aesthetic of flies and seeing them on different hooks is interesting.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com