Callibaetis Transition Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Callibaetis Transition Flymph

Post by Roadkill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:49 pm

This fly developed from a Callibaetis mayfly discussion at the NW Fly Tyers Expo yesterday. A friend was tying his Bubble Boy Callibaetis imitation- a Klinkhammer like surface/damp emerger. Today while I e-mailed him some photos of his tying session I thought... that after I tie his imitation I will have to fish it trailing a transition flymph.

Hook-3906B #12
Tan Thread
Tail/Shuck- Rust Sparkle Yarn
Body- Beaver dyed brown followed by Muskrat fur blended with Hare's Ear and Hexagenia Antron Dubbing
Silver lined clear glass bead
Hackle- Brahma Hen Saddle dyed Golden Straw

Image Thanks Monte! :idea:
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Callibaetis Transition Flymph

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:36 am

Bill, this kind of innovation and understanding of the hatch behavior is fantastic. It's probably the thing I like most about this group. I would expect you will do very well with this one. Kudos to you and Monte.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Callibaetis Transition Flymph

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:33 am

Always thinking, aren't you Roadkill Bill? I've seen the remnant-shuck-to-adult-color transition before (on sulfur emerger), but never with a gas bubble bead. Excellent concept.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"