Allgrouse

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Allgrouse

Post by UC Steve » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 pm

grouseII 004 (500x428).jpg
grouseII 004 (500x428).jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
From my nativist period in the 70's. Original was without midge flash & reverse wound with fine wire. Still, I think, the most realistic twist body I've seen, with the banding grouse tail creates. Gray phase & brown phase will cover a lot of mayfly species. This one is constructed entirely of red (brown) phase ruffed grouse, a gray ruffed grouse creates the same result in gray.

Hook: #12 Mustad 3366-BR
Thread: primrose Pearsall's Gossamer silk
Hackle: grouse body feather
Tail: 3 grouse tail fibers
Body: grouse tail fibers & a single strand of pearl midge flash twisted with the tag of the tying silk
Thorax: grouse, fibers taken from the bronze band near the tip of the tail feather
tie2fish

Re: Allgrouse

Post by tie2fish » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Excellent, Steve. The overall effect looks very much like a mayfly to my eye ... dainty at the rear and larger at the front.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Marvelous pattern, Steve. The grouse fibers provide a natural beauty. Elegant. A true fishing fly.

Well done, sir.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
swellcat

Re: Allgrouse and Neo-Nativism

Post by swellcat » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:24 am

It's an appealing fly, for sure. Maybe a neo-Nativist revival is in order.

It could also be an engaging swap theme; Tie Local(ly) makes sense for some of the same reasons Eat Local(ly) does.
---
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:13 am

I like that idea. Sounds like an interesting swap theme.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Beautiful Steve. Simple and effective
UC Steve

Re: Allgrouse and Neo-Nativism

Post by UC Steve » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:01 pm

swellcat wrote:It's an appealing fly, for sure. Maybe a neo-Nativist revival is in order.

It could also be an engaging swap theme; Tie Local(ly) makes sense for some of the same reasons Eat Local(ly) does.
---
Swellcat, went for 4 years through the early 70's fishing nothing but indigenous flies. 45 miles from town. No internet to order stuff from. Totally under the influence of Skues & Leisenring, zealous in the way only guys in their 20's can be. With 4 babies & a bunch of livestock to feed, budget dictated fly tying materials be limited to essentials like thread, hooks & wire. Wasn't a problem because the neighborhood provided everything you needed (my girl's knitting basket provided the rest). Think I caught more trout during that period than at any other time. Of course, I was a lot more energetic. But even now, the patterns I fish most of the time still contain a lot of native (regional) elements as I believe these things work mojo on native trout.

"neo-Nativist" I like. Never been involved in a swap & don't know how it works, but I like that theme.

Thanks for your comments guys. You are neo-classicists of the first water.

Steve
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:14 pm

A well tied generic imitation. 8-)
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:06 am

Yes very nice pattern you got here. Simple yet effective natural looking pattern. I'm sure it taken many trout with this pattern. With all the flash and bright colors used today I find as I'm sure many of you do that the more natural drab colored patterns still work the best.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 am

Steve, this is construction type and profile I really like it. Beautifully tied. And I dig the name too. Along with Sweelcat's call for a Neo-Nativist swap, It reminds me of a swap I hosted as one of the IBF swaps years ago where the flies were tied from a single feather. You've come near that with this one. Really nice.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com