A Black Gnat - soggy

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

A Black Gnat - soggy

Post by William Anderson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:08 am

This is claret Pearsall's silk, crow herl and black hen. (What did we decide to call the tail's deck feather barbs?)
The hook is the TFS 2500 #14 from The Fly Shop catalogue. There was some question about the quality of these hooks considering how inexpensive they are. What a bargain. They are strong, not brittle and sharp, and the color is fine for lots of patterns. The proportion and straight eye make this is a pretty compelling spider hook.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: A Black Gnat - soggy

Post by tie2fish » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:37 am

Very nice body work with the crow, W. It will take me a bit to get used to the "Grip look" on a spider hook, though.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for the positive comments on The Fly Shop's hooks, Will. That thread, though, doesn't look like my Pearsalls claret - more like scarlet.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:55 pm

tie2fish wrote:Very nice body work with the crow, W. It will take me a bit to get used to the "Grip look" on a spider hook, though.

Thanks, Bill. The angle of the hook is deceiving as it really doesn't have the Grip curvature, just a straight shank. I guess the hook point comes up a tad. I do like the strength and wide gape of this hook. I really want a pile of the partridge spider hooks with the straight eye, short shank and wide gape. They just look elegant.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:00 pm

redsedge wrote:Thanks for the positive comments on The Fly Shop's hooks, Will. That thread, though, doesn't look like my Pearsalls claret - more like scarlet.
It could be that the underwater pics put light on the fly more evenly and appear a bit brighter which surprises me every time. I own cardinal, scarlet, claret and dark claret. I like this pattern better with dark claret, but I had few lengths of claret cut in 1 1/2" lengths for another pattern so I tied a few with the claret.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com