Stewart's spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Irv

Stewart's spiders

Post by Irv » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:56 am

Hello - It's been a while since I've been on the forum - hand and arm back in sufficient shape to begin tying again. I've been thinking about tying up a bunch of W.C. Stewart's spiders. They've always appealed to me because of their simplicity, their beauty, and their effectiveness. I would like to get any advice that y'all care to share about materials. Stewart's Red Spider calls for landrail hackle, and his Dun Spider calls for dotterel or light starling. Questions: What could I use as a substitute for landrail and dotterel, since these birds may not be available in the US? By "light starling" does he mean bleached starling?

I plan to tie the flies on a down eyed wet fly hook in sizes 12-16. Any suggestions as to this plan and as to hook manufacturers.

Thanks very much for your time

Irv
Ruard

Re: Stewart's spiders

Post by Ruard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:38 am

Irv wrote:
I plan to tie the flies on a down eyed wet fly hook in sizes 12-16. Any suggestions as to this plan and as to hook manufacturers.

Irv
I should use a Kamasan B175 in 12 or 14 make the barb down and the eye straight, but before you can make it straight make it hot, till it is red but only the eye, after that you can make the eye straight

if you want a hook less heavy try a Gamagatsu F314 also in 12 or 14

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:30 am

From Edmonds and Lee: "If the dotterel feather is unobtainable a feather from the under coverts of a young Starling's wing makes a fair substitute".
For the red spider chukar tail and jay wings have suitable feathers. http://softhacklepatternbook.blogspot.c ... pider.html

Bill
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:10 pm

The jay feather is the best sub for landrail hackle.

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:24 pm

Spendy...but my favorite Stewart spider hook is the tiemco 2499sp-BL
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Irv, Howdy;

May be a straight eye hook but, the Diachii (sp?), 1640 helps make a very nice Spider.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Irv wrote:Questions: What could I use as a substitute for landrail and dotterel, since these birds may not be available in the US? By "light starling" does he mean bleached starling?

Irv
Irv, welcome back and thanks for reviving a favorite topic. In regards to the feather substitutes, as impressionistic as these patterns are, it would be easy to view them more in terms of shade and mobility. Some hen hackle capes can get pretty close on both of these accounts. You mentioned the lighter starling, and I hope I'm not speaking out of context, but Stewart and his contemporaries would have had access to a range of specimens of starling. Juvenile birds and early season birds appear quite different than late summer adults which show the classic deep, black, iridescent feathers. The reference might have suggested using the juvenile birds. If you're interested, Mike Hogue, of Badger Creek, always carries a batch of bleached and dyed starlings that provide a sub for a host of game birds no longer available. Or...jump off the ledge and start collecting a pile of hen variants from Charlie Collins. It's fun and he throws in the saddle free.

On hooks, you'll get as many opinions as there are members, and they are all good, but I suggest you'll want some to ride higher, tied on a dry fly hook, and some to drop more quickly tied on a heavier gauge wet fly hook. Maybe you want the spiders when fished as a cast and the hook selection will effect how each effects the others, if that makes sense.

Really glad your back. Please let us know how your flies turn out.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Can someone find Niklas Dahlin's step by step tying this fly? It's excellent. We likely have several great sbs's here as well. If I wasn't on the road on my phone I'd track them down.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:46 pm

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 am

William Anderson wrote:
Irv wrote:

...jump off the ledge and start collecting a pile of hen variants from Charlie Collins. It's fun and he throws in the saddle free.
Only if you buy it from him at a show. Some dealers split them up and I'm pretty sure if you order from him by phone or mail you don't get the free saddle.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"