The Mad Hatter - Floating Terrestrial Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

The Mad Hatter - Floating Terrestrial Soft Hackle

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:16 pm

The Mad Hatter
Thread - Veevus 14/0 (Black/B01)
Hook - Partridge Barbless Czech Nymph Hook (Size 10/Formerly Size 16)
Body - 3 mm Foam (Brown) - Cut with a River Road Creations Foam Cutter (Beavertail shape body)
Hackle - Starling Rump Hackle - use largest spade shaped hackle feathers you can find on a starling
High Vis Spot - Folk Art "Shiny" Brand Acrylic Craft Paint (2708 Apple Orchard)

Some may cringe at the construction of the fly (foam), but this has proven to be a very effective fly. Last year I bought the foam cutters, but have struggled to come up with a fly that I liked tying with them. A couple months ago, I started playing around with them as a panfish fly. This is the reason I chose a barbless hook. The czech hook may seem like an odd choice, but I wanted a hook with a pronounced curve to it, sort of like a klinkhammer shape. The pronounced curve helps the hook point hang well below the foam body when sitting in the water.

These are super easy to tye, once you get the hang of working with foam. After the foam body has been secured in place, the hackle is tyed in and then wrapped around the "neck" of the fly. Pull the hackle fibers down and too the sides, so they will hang down as the fly sits in the surface film. The soft starling hackle moves easily and gives the fly significant life. In my opinion, much livelier than rubber legs.

This pattern has work very well on panfish. The barbless hook makes it very easy to remove the hook, even when they swallow the fly deep.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
zen leecher

Re: The Mad Hatter - Floating Terrestrial Soft Hackle

Post by zen leecher » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:35 pm

how well can you see your hi viz spot?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 pm

That would work great for matching the indicator hatches on our most popular nymphing streams. ;)
Does it come in flouro orange?
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Old Hat wrote: Does it come in flouro orange?
...as a salmon fly imitation of course. :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Nice fly. Do you see that spot well? In my experience ( my eyes are not what they were) I'd find that spot and even that fly hard to see on anything other than very flat water. I'd have to use a yarn post of some description...
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:29 pm

The visibility has been okay, but I have also made some with a 1/8" diameter disk of green apple colored foam. I use a tool to cut the disks, then superglue them onto to the back of the fly. Yarn would work too.

Carl - I will make up some orange versions, and yellow ones. The bottoms can easily be dressed up with a fine Sharpie markers.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean