Pete Hidy Quill Bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Pete Hidy Quill Bodies

Post by gingerdun » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 am

After seeing the Early Spring Spider by Tie2Fish, I was reminded of these two photographs that are from my father's fly wallet.
I probably should have posted them in the Nymph section, but the boundary is fuzzy.
That hackle in the second photograph needs to be brushed, and made more presentable. My apologies.
I don't know when he tied them.

tie2fish

Re: Pete Hidy Quill Bodies

Post by tie2fish » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 am

Pete certainly could turn out buggy looking flies. Love the blended color dubbing in the thoraxes.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Lance,
These photo's are awesome! The patterns are awesome as well! Indeed, your dad had that ability to make buggy looking patterns! This can be seen in nearly every pattern that you share with us! We can also see this same quality in the work you do! Thank you Lance for keeping us fed!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:39 am

Interesting.. whats the dubbing in pic 1 - seals fur perhaps?

The green/blue is certainly eyecatching

The tails are interesting, perhaps somewhat "coarse" in design, but obviously he was happy using such tails...
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Very interesting seeing these quill bodied flies by your father, Lance. I'm sure they worked well for him! That second fly looks to be chewed a bit!

Thanks for sharing.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:19 am

Bill, Doug, Johnno and Eric,
Thanks for the comments.
As for the dubbing mix, I am reluctant to make a guess. In later years, when he played with long, colored fibers, they were often embroidery wool.
Lance
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Lance, it's been a long time since we've seen unpublished pics from your dad's wallet. These are always interesting. Especially giving that first fly the "squint test" makes for a very enticing bite.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Love the looks from the Flymph Master! I find the tail variation most interesting, more like imitation of a nymph shuck than tails