Starling and Copper - revisited

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Starling and Copper - revisited

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

I will start with a regret that I have not posted anything new in some time, but honestly, I haven't really been tying anything new, but rather fine-tuning or stocking up on patterns that i have found invaluable, proven on the water. I'll post a range of flies that I just uploaded for posting, but I hope you don't have the WTF reaction opening the post just to see patterns I've been posting for a decade. :D

I'm sure I've shared this years ago but this pattern first came to my attention when I saw David Whiltshire tying this fly in 2008, about the same time I saw Hans posting flies with this wire body where the wire is wrapped in touching turns from the thorax and then ribbed back to the thorax. Then I recalled seeing Martin Westbeek tying this pattern in a variety of shades in 2006. I adapted/adopted the pattern around 2009. It's the same construction technique we can see from Nemes silk bodies on his spiders from the 80's.

And with that, the Starling and Copper with a natural mole thorax. This is my most productive version. I use Uni-wire in Amber and in this Copper Brown. Here's another post including this fly type. http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... +and+amber

Starling and Copper

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Starling and Copper - revisited

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

It's a real pleasure to see some of your work here again, w -- both the tying and the photography. Thank you.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Nice. Tied up a few similar with some old Hareline muskrat and Antron for the thorax.. may be a good option down here late season....
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Beautiful flies William! 8-)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks, fellas. I'm very happy to be posting again. I sat down to tie a bakers dozen flymphs today and I'm kind of obsessed with a moment on spring creek last summer fishing #14 tan caddis to risers. One day I ran out, completely out of flymphs that matched. That night I made it right and did very well with them again the next day. That was about eight months ago and i did very well with that fly all season. I bet I've tied 150 woodcock and red fox flymphs since. I won't have a lot of variety to post but I'm happy to post five or six different patterns on various hooks. Over and over. :o :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
mkmury

Post by mkmury » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Always leave 'em wanting more William, that's why I'm always looking for your posts
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 am

William,

Very nice flies.

Regards,
Scott