Woodcock Diver

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Woodcock Diver

Post by William Anderson » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:41 pm

So where does this fly belong. Certainly a wet fly without a wing, not really a nymph and could certainly function as an emerger on a swing, but more likely makes it's way to the bottom for a time. Maybe an wet emerging diver. At any rate, I'm adding more beads to my box this season than I have in years past. This past season seemed to put me on bigger water more then than in past seasons and I at times wished I had livelier patterns, no love for beaded nymphs, that could move droppers a bit further down the water column. This sure ought to answer the lively part of that scenario.

Woodcock Hackle and Tail, muted copper bead, aussie opossum body and collar.

Maybe this one would be a better winged wet.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
joaniebo

Re: Woodcock Diver

Post by joaniebo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Would be nice with or without the bead. From the coloring of the pic, almost looks like Golden Plover hackle.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:12 am

The combination of soft woodcock and longish dubbing will most certainly enhance the "liveliness" you are striving for, William. Would you consider employing rod manipulation to help move the beadhead around?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

joaniebo wrote:Would be nice with or without the bead. From the coloring of the pic, almost looks like Golden Plover hackle.
Bob, there is a lot of variety on a single woodcock wing, from the rich darker brown tones to these softer tawny shades. I need to sort 4-5 feathers from a wing to photograph side by side. Lots of good stuff.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:13 pm

tie2fish wrote:The combination of soft woodcock and longish dubbing will most certainly enhance the "liveliness" you are striving for, William. Would you consider employing rod manipulation to help move the beadhead around?
Bill, I know when I tie a busy fly with soft tails, dense hackles and brushy thoraxes it's going to want to float or at least resist it's decent. This thing is a #14, it's not going to drop like a Frenchie of one of the ultra cool competition nymphs, but on point it will at least bring the leader and it's droppers down further. I like to fish a pair of wets unweighted most of the time, but even putting the line upstream and maintaining a dead drift will only get your rig down a few inches. As to the rod manipulation are you asking about wiggling the rod tip to impart movement of the fly or just to enhance the activity of the hackles? For the past couple years I've been using a bit of line-hand manipulation during parts of a drift or swing, but I don't think I have the control necessary to use the rod tip to create realistic micro movements on a fly. I saw a guy do it once, and it worked, but my assumption is that he caught a fish despite his wiggle, rather than because of it.

Does anyone here regularly use a rod wiggle or a line-hand manipulation to add motion? This might be a question for the fishing wingless wet section. If there is an interest I'll post it there.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:50 pm

I was thinking about imparting a jigging action to the bead head fly by periodically moving the rod tip up and then dropping it. It's a fairly well known fact that jigs really catch the fish, so why not try it?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Jigging, sure. Fishing weighted flies so rarely puts me at a disadvantage but I'd certainly like to broaden my game. I thought you were suggesting some rod wiggle. I have my doubts about wiggling. 8-)
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 am

Great balls of steel William, what have you done!
Give me your ball-less versions any day :-)).
How hard can it be?
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 am

W.,
Another unbelievable pattern from your fruitful vice! I am falling in love with the plover-like hackles that you own! They really give this (these) patterns an awesome, classic look! Please keep creating! We are gobbling this up!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 am

William Anderson wrote:Jigging, sure. Fishing weighted flies so rarely puts me at a disadvantage but I'd certainly like to broaden my game. I thought you were suggesting some rod wiggle. I have my doubts about wiggling. 8-)

Save the "wiggle" for streamers; it works there.