English Grouse & Woodcock Hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

English Grouse & Woodcock Hackles

Post by joaniebo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Although I can see the slight difference in the English Grouse and Woodcock hackles (on the wing), it's getting more and more difficult for me to tell the difference once the hackles are dressed onto to a hook. Call it age, eye sight, or whatever, but I do think that either / both are pretty much interchangeable for this old guy.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: English Grouse & Woodcock Hackles

Post by William Anderson » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm a big woodcock fan when softhackles are involved. It's a softer mottling with more taunt shades than grouse. You're right, it's a tough call when either will do.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:04 am

I suppose there are color phases for grouse, but as a general rule, English grouse tends to be more reddish than is woodcock. Also, as William had pointed out, the woodcock markings are less well defined. Both are quite beautiful to my eye.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm

It's funny that you guys would be discussing this topic. I ordered today a pair of English Grouse wings and I have a Woodcock wing or two in storage.....I can't wait to get the two hackles side by side and make some fair comparisons along with you! I guess the real test would be to tie and photograph a couple of soft-hackles using each one! Be on the lookout in the next couple of days!
Slow but sure,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 am

Please take note that there is a significant difference in both color and flexibility between European woodcock feathers and the birds we have here. The feathers that William uses are from wings that are half again as big as the typical American woodcock wing and much more yellowish to my eye.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"