Edmonds' & Lee's March Brown #8b

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Edmonds' & Lee's March Brown #8b

Post by joaniebo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 am

Probably my favorite North Country spider is the #8b from "Brook & River Trouting" by Edmonds & Lee using Snipe rump feathers for both the tail and hackle. (I used more than "Two strands from a feather from a Snipe's rump....")

No. 8b
March Brown
Ephemeridae
Hook 2 or 3
Wings - Hackled with a mottled brown feather from a Snipe's rump.
Body - Orange silk, No. 6a, dubbed with the fur from the nape of a rabbit's neck which has been lightly tinged red with Cranshaw's Red Spinner dye, and ribbed with gold wire or tinsel.
Tail - Two strands from a feather from a Snipe's rump, same feather as used for the wings.
Head - Orange silk.
April, and often May.
Attachments
Edmonds & Lee's March Brown - No 8b.jpg
Edmonds & Lee's March Brown - No 8b.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Edmonds' & Lee's March Brown #8b

Post by letumgo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Gorgeous flies! Makes me want to head straight to my vise.

Thanks for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 am

Bob, this set really gets me excited. I love the overall tone of these flies, beautiful compliments. I love seeing these historic patterns recreated. This set in particular look a lot like they might have come from Pete Hidy's wallet with the tapered body and head. beautifully done. The recipe has always struck me as rather vivid for the March Brown's in the North County of the UK. Patterns that match the insects are more muted, a gray on tannish gray. Nothing like the richer shades gold, amber and brown of the March Browns in the Eastern US. I'd fish these with confidence over lots of hatches. Just a beautiful looking bug.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 am

William

I love the colors used and the blending of the colors in E & L's March Brown. The European Snipe Rump Feathers have a distinctly different coloring and texture when compared to a Snipe's wing feathers / hackles and in some ways, appear to be close to a Golden Plover's feathers.

Speaking of Snipe, European Snipe that is, until a year or so ago, I always that that there was only one European Snipe until an author / fly tyer in the UK pointed out to me that there are BOTH a "Common Snipe" and a "Jack Snipe" and (historically, although not written about too often), the Jack Snipe's hackles were to be used in tying the Snipe & Purple dressing. That being said, I have both of the European Snipe wings and this old guy can't tell much of a difference.

Bob