Allgrouse Red

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Allgrouse Red

Post by tie2fish » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am

Since most if not all of the photos that I previously posted using PB are now gone from the forum, I'm going to re-post some of my favorites. The Allgrouse Red is a variation of a Steve Bird pattern, and is constructed completely of various feathers from an English Red Grouse using Pearsall's #14 (claret) Gossamer thread on a Mustad 94840 Size #12 hook.

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
swellcat

Re: Allgrouse Red

Post by swellcat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:22 am

It's meaty—borderline burly in body—yet with notes of refinement.

(Now, let's wait for Steve to come on here and call it "a great bait". 8-) )
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Very beaugly!!

dd
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 am

Oow. Now that looks like a great bait, Bill.

Steve
swellcat

Great Bait

Post by swellcat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:01 pm

UC Steve

Re: Great Bait

Post by UC Steve » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:46 pm

swellcat wrote:Image

Yep. Had a team-building group from Tennessee this past summer. Non-flyfishers forced into it (while extremely hung-over each day, for the most part). After two days of dangerous, non-productive flailing & increasing complaints (& it's 100-degrees hot), I'd had enough. On the third day, desperate, I broke out the spinning rods & a couple dozen nightcrawlers. We're gonna fish for walleye. One guy, happy now, threads on a worm, plunks it out there, settles back in his seat, crosses his legs, & sez: "Now this's fishin."
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:05 pm

That's a beauty, Bill. I just received a pair of red grouse wings( and a pair of waterhen wings as well) which I think I will use to tie some breadcrusts, a la English grouse ....... thanks for the inspiration!!!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
swellcat

Fly Pole and "Bait" and Walleye

Post by swellcat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Sorry, but that's a fly pole (albeit with only four guides and no stripper) with a wooden fighting butt and fly reel. (What manner of garden hackle one opts to dangle therefrom is his bidness.)

The use of the term "bait" to describe an attractive fly is great fun. It's slightly subversive but also seems pretty evolved and post-pretentious; what could be more welcome to find floating in the fly-pole punch bowl?
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Bill
Fill me in on the body---- is that a twist, or quill? VERY interesting....

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
UC Steve

Re: Fly Pole and "Bait" and Walleye

Post by UC Steve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:50 pm

swellcat wrote:Image
Sorry, but that's a fly pole (albeit with only four guides and no stripper) with a wooden fighting butt and fly reel. (What manner of garden hackle one opts to dangle therefrom is his bidness.)

The use of the term "bait" to describe an attractive fly is great fun. It's slightly subversive but also seems pretty evolved and post-pretentious; what could be more welcome to find floating in the fly-pole punch bowl?

Exactly. I probably picked the term up from Harry LeMire & Trey Combs. More common usage back before the popular book & movie I suspect. Makes sense though; & thinking of the fly as such compels a spectrum of presentations & inspired jigglings.

Steve