Put your coffee cup down Hank it contains flash ;)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

Put your coffee cup down Hank it contains flash ;)

Post by fly_fischa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 am

Received some beautiful dubbing a friend has developed called Electric Wool.

It’s a very versatile dubbing, super fine, shrouds the thread beautifully, long fibres can be shredded and broken in hand to shorten the fibres. It’s a natural base material with a nice amount of crinkle, bugyness and a hint of sparkle.

I used it for the first time today from this flymph/soft hackle a fuzzle bugger down to a sz 20 paraloop.

Sz 12 partridge klinkhammer hook, orangism electric wool twisted tag, fairies breath and angry leprechaun electric wool twisted in a dubbing loop for a segmented looking buggy abdomen, angry leprechaun electric wool in a dubbing loop for the thorax, olive grizzly hen hackle wound through the thorax and Semperfli glint nymph for the head.

A fuzzle bugger, Sz8 TMC 700 Black marabou tail, Wapsi olive woolly bugger chenille, forrestial abyss electric wool dubbed onto the chenille before wrapping the body, then teased out with a Velcro patch.
tie2fish

Re: Put your coffee cup down Hank it contains flash ;)

Post by tie2fish » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:32 am

Interesting looking material; the overall effect on the Fuzzlebugger looks similar to sculpin wool.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 am

fly_fischa, Howdy;

karstan, thanks for the warning, :) .

Amazing what shows up with a Super Moon, Had I not read the description
I'd have thought you'd used some of the stuff that comes from the "Fly Tyer's
Dungon".
http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/Materials/dubbing.htm

I return me to my regular programming now.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Karsten - Is the "Electric Wool" available on the market yet? What colors are being offered and how would I go about ordering some? I could definitely put that dubbing to good use.

Man, I miss being able to order the TMC 700 series hooks. My favorite hook for the fuzzle buggers.

Outstanding flies and photos, mate. You make "fishing flies" into an art form and supermodels. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Thank you Bill and Hank, wish you hadn't shared that site Hank, I feel an order coming on :lol:
I hear you Bill, but the difference to sculpin wool is when wet, the dubbing becomes translucent and base that was dubbed onto shines through, In this instant a lighter shade olive chenille with a bit of flash. The effect can be made more prominent by the choice of a contrasting core, light dubbing dark core, dark dubbing light core...

Hey Ray, Jack has a website, I hope it's ok for me to post it here? Feel free to remove it if it's not appropriate.
http://www.lv2nymph.com/electric-wool.html
He's a great guy that I met through instagram, one of the most accomplished fly tiers I know and he's very humble about it. In a marketplace saturated with a lot of relabelled junk it’s refreshing to come across a material that’s been developed by a tier with thought and consideration. Jack sources the raw materials and hand blends this dubbing for it's properties, which is pretty cool in my books. I'm fussy about my materials and wouldn't endorse it if it didn't tick the boxes for me and this one does that and then some. The fibre has relatively long strands that are easily torn in hand to shorten, you can pull a tuft out and it forms a tapered skein much like you would if using superfine. It's dubbing properties are very similar to superfine with a difference in texture, the electric wool has a bit more crinkle to it but it dubs very finely if desired. It can be used whole in hanks if tying streamers. It's quite easy to avoid the flash if you desire, no different to avoiding guard hairs if using beaver or muskrat, a matter of fact that's probably a bad example I'd say it's a lot easier. I'll include a few photo's from the dark side (living dangerously) so you can see the uses and versatility...

Btw, I'm with you on the TMC 700's, I was gutted to learn they discontinued it! I bought every available pack in OZ when I found out, have about 500, mainly 10's and 8's, let me know if you need some?

Sz 14 partridge klinkhammer hook, dirty otter and wombat electric wool twisted in a dubbing loop for the abdomen, grizzly hackle paraloop, wombat electric wool touch dubbed for the thorax. I love the effect of taking two skeins of dubbing in contrasting colours and twisting them together in a dubbing loop, it gives a natural mottled and segmented look to the body, you can alter the effect by cording the rope up more or loosening it off...
Sz 20 partridge midge hook, paraloop dry, just to show how versatile this dubbing is, colours are dirty otter and earthen clay electric wool...
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm

The ties are great (and well photographed as usual) and the "electric wool" certainly looks promising but I've never been able to develop much confidence in green flies (other than chartreuse). The paraloop flies certainly look like fish getters.
Bob
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Fabulous looking flies!! 8-)
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 am

Karsten, somehow the first two flies made me think of George Clooney and his Soggy Bottom Boys. These newer flies look more familliar. What is the weight of the size 20 when dressed? (I read that your Jack offers the weight of his nymphs. Interesting concept).

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:48 am

Karsten ~

This material as you describe it sounds like it has many desirable properties, both physical and aesthetic. The flies you have tied with it are excellent, which is the norm for you, and your photos show off the Electric Wool to good advantage. Your friend Jack would do well to consider using them for promotional purposes.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm

WOW Karsten those flies fantastic, great photographs as well ! What’s up with the wombat dubbing?
Soft and wet - the only way....