Orange Quill and Hen

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Orange Quill and Hen

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 am

Finished tying the Snipe and Stripped Herl flies that I plan to submit for the current Stripper's Fly Swap and decided to experiment a bit with the theme. In rummaging through some of the materials I salvaged from my friend Jack's stash after his passing, I found a selection of commercially stripped and dyed quills in several colors.

The orange ones caught my eye, and I originally thought that a brown speckled hen hackle might look good with them. Instead I settled on a solid orange-brown hen cape and added some sulphur orange dyed peacock herl for a thorax. All of this is tied on a vintage Mustad 94842 Size #14 hook using Uni-Thread 8/0 rusty brown thread.

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Theroe

Re: Orange Quill and Hen

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 am

Bill
I see that you have mastered the quill technique...the way you have the second wrap covering the first, on top, is perfect. Also, having the trailing edge higher than the leading edge makes a perfect quill body. Those two previous steps keep the quill protected from the trout's teeth.... a subtle but very important step when tying quill bodies.....
Perfect!!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am

Ok, so being a complete newby at stripped quills. They appear to be flattened somewhat. I have stripped a few at home and they seem to be very round at the tip flattening somewhat toward the tip. Here is a pic describing what I am seeing. It seems that toward the eye, the quill changes shape similar to the one Bill posted. I am early in my trials and need to practice alot more, but hope you could provide some insight or some tips.

Dave
Last edited by SenecaLaker on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:29 pm

If you look closely at a cross section of a quill (rachis) it is shaped like a rhombus. I soak them in warm water for 10 minutes then lightly crimp them flat with pliers. Emphasis on “lightly crimp” - If your squash the quill it will split or break....
:P Now that I’ve gotten past the mental block I had about posting pictures here, maybe I will post a step-by-step this evening!
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm sure 'my' grayling would jump on your feathery maggot, Bill, it's nice enough and looks mature.

dd
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:20 am

Feathery maggot (insert rolling eyes emoji here) I’d like to see u warm it up in ur cheeks Stefan :P
Beautiful tie Bill :)

Thero - I’ll hold u to that SBS :D Can’t wait...
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 pm

"feathery maggot"

That sounds more like the description of one of my flies, not one of Bill's. :D :lol: :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

That looks to be a great Fall Caddis pattern.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Old Hat wrote:That looks to be a great Fall Caddis pattern.
Right Carl? I mean, its perfect for the October Caddis.

Bill - where did you pick that pattern up - I haven't seen it before......

Dana
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Theroe wrote:
Bill - where did you pick that pattern up - I haven't seen it before......

Dana
Like a good deal of what I post here, it's my own concoction (or at least I think so).
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"