Adams Flymph Evolution

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Adams Flymph Evolution

Post by tie2fish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:42 am

During the initial Flymphforum Rendezvous in Roscoe in 2012, I first tied a pattern that I called an Adams Flymph. The idea was to use a combination of of Coachman Brown and Grizzly hen hackles together, along with grey fur dubbing, to emulate the effect created by the famous Adams dry fly. I was relatively new to flymph tying at that time, as is evident in a photo of those early efforts:

Now, more than 5 years later and after lots of much appreciated coaching from Lance Hidy, the differences in how I tie flymphs can best be appreciated by an up-to-date photo:

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Adams Flymph Evolution

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Both are very nice. I think the original looks good, but the second version probably fishes better.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Mr. Bill & REE, Howdy;

Mr. Bill, not that I'm any thing close to any kind of expert anything, but ...

1. I likes'em both, if either would have an edge IMO it would be your original.

2. Think it can only be decided by fishing them both at same time to see
which is favored over the other.

Ron, not disagreein' with ya, just to me, the orig. appears to be more likely to
produce a lip lock ... just looks more buggy and edible.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Bill - thats a great pattern you have there.....i really like the second version, AND that brownish cream hackle......deadly!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm

.........nice old HOOKS, too!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Interesting comparison, both beautiful. But, yes, the second one is right in the Pete Hidy strike zone with its double-taper cigar shape, and heavy hackle. The hackle looks softer than the 2012 model. Thanks, Bill.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm

As with spiders, sparser isn't always better for fishing. I think. As flymph, the second one might come closer. The first one is a bit rich in tail and hackle but oh so buggy. One as a point fly, the other as a dropper, then change their position. Might make you wiser but who knows?
I like both.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 am

I like both versions.

Stefan - Fishing both flies is a great idea, to see what the trout prefer. I intend to give these a try, just as you suggest. Either pattern is bound to be successful (win-win).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:39 pm

letumgo wrote:I like both versions.

Stefan - Fishing both flies is a great idea, to see what the trout prefer. I intend to give these a try, just as you suggest. Either pattern is bound to be successful (win-win).
I agree, but be sure to swap positions from time to time. Sometimes the trout just prefer the point fly, regardless of what it is.
Bob
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 am

They’re both beautiful ties Bill, the second one is one I would associate more with the ties of yours that I’ve come to know and love. The first one looks very buggy tho and I can’t help but think it might be a better fly in certain situations. The shaggy dubbing would trap more air bubbles and the hackle although full just looks great!
I don’t want to hi jack this thread but one observation I recently made fishing sparse flymphs and spiders (I should point out that although I tie them my fishing experience with them is minimal) in some small streams was how quickly the sparse flymphs sink (the second fly also looks like a perfect candidate for this), even with long tails, dubbing noodles with the pearsalls showing through and hackle wound through the thorax. I was hoping they’d fish high in the water column like emerging insects they’re supposed to represent, not so. I couldn’t help but go back to what I’m comfortable with after a day of trying these flies. I caught lots of fish but it wasn’t a very visual way of fishing that I prefer, out came my emergers and dries :oops: