Dorothea's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Dorothea's

Post by Old Hat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 pm

I was playing with Mark's embroidery #722 today and the Lil' Dorothy theme. Brought some good memories.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Re: Dorothea's

Post by Roadkill » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 pm

I love the color combinations and the subtle style changes!! 8-)
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 am

All up to your usual standards of excellence, Carl. I particularly like the third one, which should be a killer when the sulfurs are on.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:29 am

Wonderful ties. Really like the hackling on the 2nd one. :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:41 pm

I really like the first one, the second one and the third one. :D

Don't make me pick a favorite. That would be like picking a favorite child. :lol:

Mark would have liked these, Carl... ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm

It would be interesting to see how a ribbed version fishes compared to the original. In my experience, the embroidery floss starts to fray after a fish or two, leaving a kind of shroud around the fly. It's been my belief that this increases the effectiveness of the fly; it certainly makes for a great translucent effect. I've even taken to roughing the floss up a bit with velcro to speed up the fraying process. I would think that a rib would prevent the fraying. OTOH, it would make for a longer lasting fly, and maybe the segmentation effect would make up for the loss of translucence.
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Bob,
My thoughts on the ribbing. Not just on this fly but in general. I don't think the rib would keep the yarn from fraying. Just like silk thread which frays when ribbed as well, I think it would still fray. I put ribbing on flies that I want to fish a little bit deeper for a couple reasons. It adds a little weight if made of wire. Not much but some. Most importantly I think natural ribbing is more prominent on the early nymphal stages of emerging. Once the shuck starts to loosen and break free often times the ribbing is far less noticeable. I like a noticeable rib if Im fishing a little deeper and will also use a heavier hook and a little longer hook because i think it has a bit more nymph look. The ribbing on this one is just the ginger thread waxed with a dark cobbler's wax.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am

Oh my, Carl... Not really sure what to say here. These are all very lovely.
That second one is absurdly delightful looking... the contrast with the ribbing against the 722 is super! Would love to see that moistened.
cassady

Post by cassady » Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Great flies and well done photos, Carl!
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 am

I love the use of the silk embroidery thread. I suspect our forefathers didn’t have all the choices of thread we have today and had to make do with whatever they could find in the sewing box. As far as fraying goes it often the most tattered fly that catches the fish. Well, at least in my experience
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either