Spanish Wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

Re: Spanish Wets

Post by narcodog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:38 pm

When I was in West Yellowstone at the FFF Conclave someone had a bundle of CDL that they had brought back from Spain. It was very nice stuff to say the least. I have done a search or two but I have not been able to locate any except for Whiting which is not what I am looking for.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 am

I have tried a few times to purchase from the gallosdeleon site and it failed at payment stage, sent emails but no response

They are readily available fron Lucian at http://www.flytying.ro/index.php - very keen pricing - a great guy to deal with and an excellent tier as well, have a good look around his site. If you are looking for good quality CDC or superb peacock herl then his is well worth purchasing from, he also does a very good amadou patch.

CDL http://www.flytying.ro/shop/shop.php?pa ... tem_id=433

For tailing on nymphs and dries CDL is a joy to tie with - lovely mottled feathers.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Mike, I always appreciate the added knowledge you can bring to the table on these posts.

I fished these quite a few times this year and found them very productive. I uses different tactics than I would normally with soft hackles. I utilized them when I needed to get a little deeper than normal and fished them in my non refined czech style. On a short line, cast little upstream, let them sink, then oh so lightly guide them through the holding water keeping the line taught.

Dougsden - I found that these hackles do behave different than soft hackles. They are as stiff as the best dry fly hackle and also make wonderful dry fly tail fibers. Any way they don't collapse as like a soft hackle, instead on these wets they mostly retain the profile they are tied in, I think in part to the stiffness and the the somewhat wedge of thread behind the hackle fibers. The fibers remain mostly independent of each other and "bounce" around. I explain it to people this way, hold your hand out and move your fingers around independently only bending them at the hand knuckle keep all the finger joints straight. This is similar to the movement. Now do the same and move all the joints in your hand and finger in a fluid motion (soft hackle). Kind of silly I know, but makes a pretty good illustration.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the sources, I just placed my order with gallos.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."