Blue Olive Spider

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Blue Olive Spider

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 am

I've been reinvestigating building bodies using Hends Body Quill material as the base for dubbing loops. I really like the material for this use. It is very strong, comes in a good variety of colors and is transparent enough that the tying thread color is still in play. This one is built from the olive Hends and muskrat dubbing. I wax the Hends just like I would thread, lightly dub the strand and build the dubbing rope on the hook.
reducedHends Blue Olive.jpg
reducedHends Blue Olive.jpg (180.17 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
ronr

Re: Blue Olive Spider

Post by ronr » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:59 am

Carl, do you finish off the fly with half hitches or a whip finish.... I find it can be tricky with a whip finish tool
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:18 am

Really nice, Carl. I still haven't tried this technique. Been busy tying flies for small mouth bass.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Karsten sent me a set of the Hends Quill Body material several years ago. I need to give your dubbed HQB technique a try. I've mostly been using it as a ribbing, sort of like a mylar tinsel rib. After seeing your result, I'm excited to try this myself.

Good stuff, Carl. As always... ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:06 pm

Great looking fly! 8-) What is the hook size?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks guys.

Ron, I whip finish by hand, no tool.

Bill, I tied this on a #16. The Hends will stretch a bit and can tie very small.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
RickA

Post by RickA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 am

That is outstanding, Carl.
My home waters have been pounded since the pandemic and the fish are now super selective.
I think your BOS would be a real changer when everyone else is throwing dry BWO's
Nicely done.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm

That's a beautiful fly. I like the color of it. What type hook is that?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 am

Thanks guys.

Rick, that is often a great time to fish spiders and good bet for fish looking up but shy of the surface.

Fishnkilts, the hook is a beautiful little spider hook from Gaelic Supreme. A Dick Walkers Wet Ring Eye. Sharp solid hand forged hook. A great hook and a joy to tie on.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 am

Old Hat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 am I've been reinvestigating building bodies using Hends Body Quill material as the base for dubbing loops. I really like the material for this use. It is very strong, comes in a good variety of colors and is transparent enough that the tying thread color is still in play. This one is built from the olive Hends and muskrat dubbing. I wax the Hends just like I would thread, lightly dub the strand and build the dubbing rope on the hook.

reducedHends Blue Olive.jpg
Nice pattern, Carl. I quite like your choice of hook- what make and model would that be?
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....