Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ronr

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by ronr » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 pm

I've fished hard with that rod for almost three years... its the cheaper version...and had no issues at all...its landed 18" fish from the Box Canyon stretch of the Henry's Fork, good fish from the Madison, Deschutes, Yakima and others... I have two friends who also fish with this rod and not had problems... Pretty poor product service though if those guys wouldn't work with you on your problems.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 pm

ronr wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 pm I've fished hard with that rod for almost three years... its the cheaper version...and had no issues at all...its landed 18" fish from the Box Canyon stretch of the Henry's Fork, good fish from the Madison, Deschutes, Yakima and others... I have two friends who also fish with this rod and not had problems... Pretty poor product service though if those guys wouldn't work with you on your problems.
I threw the rod away. Gas costs too much to cut a trip short because of an inferior product.

With in a week of the last break, I was in Bluequill Anglers Flyshop, in Evergreen Colorado. I was discussing the Cortland with the shop manager. He said it was so common to have those rods break, that they discontinued selling Cortland rods and products. The day before, all Cortland stock was sent back. He personally broke two rods, testing them, after hearing so many horror stories.

In the past 2 years I have landed 6 fish in the 5 to 11 lb range. On the Syndicate, 11 foot 3 weight. All those fish came out of fast currents.

I could not possibly count the amount of fish I have brought to the net with that rod in the 12 to 20 inch range.

I am glad you have had success with your Cortland.
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:52 am

well you've definitely planted some seeds of concern about carrying only that rod to the water. I guess Ive been lucky.
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:15 am

Hi All - I am just passing this along regarding a new source of rod blanks that appear to be very high quality at reasonable pricing. Look up the website for Northfork composites. An experienced friend recently put me on to them, telling me that they are well made and highly regarded. Last month, they had their glass blanks on sale 1/2 price, and I ordered a 7 1/2' 4 weight. It just came in, and I am quite impressed with the thing. It seems to be the best ferruling I have experienced on a plastic rod, great looking. and each section is very straight.
In the fly section, they have their 10 foot graphite series blanks on sale for $110 this month, and I suspect they would be excellent for the upstream work being discussed here. Their 11 foot switch rod blanks are also on sale. I expect to be on the Zoom call this afternoon, and will be happy to show the glass blank if there is time. No financial interest on my part, etc, I just like what I have heard and seen so far.

MODERATOR ADDITION (web link): https://northforkcomposites.com/fly-rod-blanks/
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Tom - I added the link, (not as advertising, but simply to to make it easier for others to find). I have no affiliation, or knowledge of that company. Just trying to be helpful.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Yesterday I floated by myself on the Roaring Fork River. Monsoonal flows have brought much needed moisture to Western Colorado. The rains have also muddied up or murked up the local rivers. The Roaring Fork is the latter with about 3 feet of visibility. Plenty of visibility to fish down to a size 24 if need be.

I started the day nymphing a 3 fly rig. By lunch I had brought enough fish to the raft to satisfy my "catching" needs. I was hoping the caddis activity would have been more prolific. Sadly it it wasnt. I was seriously craving some down and across action. Still, I attached 3 wet flies to my leader and tried to coax a strike with the down and across. Not one strike in about a mile of river.

I did a 180 degree turn, and decided to try an upstream aproach. It paid off. The action is not as fast, or as violent as the down and across, but it is satisfying.

I had three flies on. The top (closest to the rod) was a generic Olive, made almost exclusively of synthetics. The next was a Partridge and Yellow. The third was a Muskrat.

I do much better with a 2 fly rig than a 3 fly rig when I fish upstream. Perhaps I am not good enough to handle a third fly, and end up getting unseen drag. In any event, the Muskrat came off.

Within minutes I was in to fish. Guides are still thick on the Western Colorado waters . Probably 20 boats floated by me and my tiny raft. A couple guides dug their oars in the water in an effort to slow down and ask what the fish were taking. I grin a little bit when I tell them soft hackles. I am sure they think I am telling them a lie. One guide in a sarcastic tone said "upstream?". I kept grinning. In that guides mind, he was convinced that I was lying.

Upstream wets is not a favorite technique for me, but, its one hell of an arrow to keep in my quiver.
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:07 pm

DUBBN wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 pm
I grin a little bit when I tell them soft hackles. I am sure they think I am telling them a lie. One guide in a sarcastic tone said "upstream?". I kept grinning. In that guides mind, he was convinced that I was lying.
Love it!
Bob
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:10 pm

8-) Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes!! ;) :lol:
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm

Great story DUBBN. I have had pretty good success fishing upstream with two flies. I am in no way good enough to fish three flies and not lose my temper untangling flies.

Guides are funny people, aren't they? They just won't accept the truth.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:16 am

I may be wrong, but I would think that the upstream wet fly presentation would be extremely difficult for a guide, in his boat, to teach to newbie clients.