Cleaning House

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Cleaning House

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:28 pm

I thought I would go through my Soft Hackle inventory a few months ago. Just to take stock as to what I actually have. I was seriously mortified.

Most of the patterns had been used before , with varying degrees of success . Patterns and individual flies. There were patterns ranging from one fly to as many as a dozen. A few of the flies were tied over 30 years ago. Never to be used. It was time to cull the herd.

I friend of mine sent out a request for flies to be sent to a cause. I sent 300. I ended up sending 1200 flies to 4 other destinations.

In one of my fly boxes, I designated ones side of it to Soft Hackles. Beaded and beadless. The brunt of the patterns make up what have been successful for me the past five years. There is only 4 dozen flies. I will add a few more as there are no Partridge and Peacock, or Orange Muskrats.
Other patterns will be added as I need them. Like the Tups, and Hen Hackled Olives. Today I added a few Partridge and Grays, Yellows, and Olive. Beaded and beadless.

In my midge boxes I have another couple dozen or so Soft Hackles in sizes 18 to 24. They were not counted in the main inventory.

I am always amazed at how ugly and scraggly my soft hackles become after I place them in my fly box. Almost as amazed at how productive they are when I get them wet.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning House

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:42 pm

I hope the recipients realize what a treasure they've received. Kudo's Wayne. What a kind thing to do.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm

letumgo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:42 pm I hope the recipients realize what a treasure they've received. Kudo's Wayne. What a kind thing to do.
They weren't all worthy causes. One destination was supposed to send me a ticket to the Adult Film industries midget awards.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:40 am

DUBBN wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm
letumgo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:42 pm I hope the recipients realize what a treasure they've received. Kudo's Wayne. What a kind thing to do.
They weren't all worthy causes. One destination was supposed to send me a ticket to the Adult Film industries midget awards.
DUBBN, you rascal you.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:37 pm

A few Peacock and Partridge I tied while listening and watching the ZOOM meeting.

I am all about tails (shucks) on Soft Hackles but not on these.

NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:02 am

Those are some beautiful flies DUBBN.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am

NightWatchman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:02 am Those are some beautiful flies DUBBN.
Thank You!!! Even tied poorly, they look classy. Still, they are little trout magnets.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:46 am

Trout magnets indeed, Wayne. It was great to meet you (virtually) yesterday during the Zoom meeting.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean