Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Size 22 Brown Hackle Peacock

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Getting back to my roots.

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Size 22 Brown Hackle Peacock

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:45 am

I couldn't tie it on a tippet, much less dress the fly. Excellent tying, Wayne.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:12 am

Roots...

Back in the 60's this was one of my go to wet flies along with the gray hackle version, Renegades, Gray Hackle Yellow and the Black Gnat. My only fly that small then was a powder blue midge. There were times when this was a hot fly and then the bite turned off, switching to the Grey Hackle Peacock did the trick to get back on the fish. ;)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:22 am

I stopped in one of my favorite flyshops in the world last week. Charlies Flybox, in Arvada Colorado. I was pleased he had a couple fairly dark, Brown hen capes. Not the wine color I was hoping but close.

We all have our favorite brand of hen hackle. I will always return to the Whiting Genetic Hen, and Whiting Herbert Miner. Clean, and uniform.

Size 22
davidriley

Post by davidriley » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:22 am

Very nice.
I like Whiting hen capes but they cost ‘an arm & a leg’ in the UK, when you can get them. In the meantime I have taught all my fish to like my offerings tied with Indian hen capes and saddles! :D

David
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:00 pm

davidriley wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:22 am Very nice.
I like Whiting hen capes but they cost ‘an arm & a leg’ in the UK, when you can get them. In the meantime I have taught all my fish to like my offerings tied with Indian hen capes and saddles! :D

David
If I was a betting man, I would say the trout have no interest in the brand of hackle.

I started tying many years ago with game rooster and hen hackles. Bred for the pit. Virtually the same as India. There was a vast selection of colors.

Being that England and Ireland as well as the United States fancied the fighting of the roosters for centuries, I am sure most of the trout patterns used game fowl feathers.

Purchasing the Collins Hen hackle and having it be so terrible in condition reinforced something I was told many years ago........ "I am so poor I can not afford to buy the cheap stuff."
😉

redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:22 pm

DUBBN wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:00 pm Being that England and Ireland as well as the United States fancied the fighting of the roosters for centuries, I am sure most of the trout patterns used game fowl feathers.
I have no doubt about that. The English still call a reddish-brown hackle "red game".
Bob
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:32 pm

That is one nice looking flock of birds! My daughters are into raising all sorts of chickens. Some of which look very familiar to yours! They think eggs, I think otherwise....and they know it! "Dad, stay out of the chicken coop!"
Hoping the feathers wind up in
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:35 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:32 pm That is one nice looking flock of birds! My daughters are into raising all sorts of chickens. Some of which look very familiar to yours! They think eggs, I think otherwise....and they know it! "Dad, stay out of the chicken coop!"
Dougsden
:lol:

Those are not my chickens. I havent had a chicken for 20 years. Those are just photos of the type of feathers I had access to many moons ago.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 am

DOUGSDEN wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:32 pm That is one nice looking flock of birds! My daughters are into raising all sorts of chickens. Some of which look very familiar to yours! They think eggs, I think otherwise....and they know it! "Dad, stay out of the chicken coop!"
Dougsden
Doug - you have to become a “father – plucker”......a la Darbee: get a pillowcase and make a cut about 3 inches in from the corner. Place over your favorite rooster poking his head and neck out through the hole. Get down on your knees and insert the rooster in the bag between your legs: now you have two hands to pluck away!
After the first couple of times you do it, they get used to it and don’t mind.
Dana

Post script: submitting a video of the above mentioned task will get you many points with the forum ghillie...... your name might even get red letters!!!! :lol: :lol:
Soft and wet - the only way....