Spindrift Pink Killer Bugs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Spindrift Pink Killer Bugs

Post by joaniebo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:24 pm

I keep going through my computer files to delete old pics and found this one of Killer Bugs tied with the Spindrift Oyster wool yarn.
Attachments
Spindrfit Pink KIller BUgs.jpg
Spindrfit Pink KIller BUgs.jpg (493.71 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Spindrift Pink Killer Bugs

Post by letumgo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 am

Really nice...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
1Equinoxclan

Post by 1Equinoxclan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 am

,,,great buggy look!
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Those are killer Bob

Pun intended :lol:
Soft and wet - the only way....
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Theroe wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm Those are killer Bob

Pun intended :lol:
Dang. You beat me to it.
Bob
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:41 pm

Bob,

I remember the great, long-running discussion on the Bamboo Forum about the various Killer Bugs yarn substitutes. The Oyster (#290) has worked for me too. So much less expensive than the $100.00 Chadwick's 477!

Tight Lines- Ken
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm

I had a friend in the UK who sent me some of the killer bugs the way that Frank Sawyer tied them. He also sent me some Chadwicks 477 yarn so I can tie my own. He shared with me some historical facts about Mr. Sawyer that he learned from a friend of his who knew Mr. Sawyer personally. I never thought before on how a simple looking bug like this could ever amount to anything much, but oh how I was schooled while fishing these on the White River outside of Meeker, CO.

These flies, bugs or grubs, however you want to call them are a must have in your fly box.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 am

I understand that Chadwick's is the Holy Grail of yarns, but color-wise, I prefer the Jamieson's Oyster. I also like Bob's choice of hook over either of the ones used by Davie or Oliver. Watching Oliver and Davie cut the Chadwick's so casually gave me the willy's; I've never had a vasectomy but I'm guessing the feeling is about the same. ...*snip* Yowza!
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Fishnkilts wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm I had a friend in the UK who sent me some of the killer bugs the way that Frank Sawyer tied them. He also sent me some Chadwicks 477 yarn so I can tie my own. He shared with me some historical facts about Mr. Sawyer that he learned from a friend of his who knew Mr. Sawyer personally. I never thought before on how a simple looking bug like this could ever amount to anything much, but oh how I was schooled while fishing these on the White River outside of Meeker, CO.

These flies, bugs or grubs, however you want to call them are a must have in your fly box.
After reading Frank Sawyer's book and his description as to how he tied the Killer Bug, I watched the Oliver Edwards video where OE dresses the fly exactly as described by Frank Sawyer....... wire wraps from rear of hook shank, up towards the eye and back down the hook shank; then yarn from front to back, back to front and front to back of hook shank with the yarn; then tie off with several turns of the wire. I tried to do mine exactly as shown in OE's video and in FS's book, except I used the Oyster 290 yarn.

Bob
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

joaniebo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm
Fishnkilts wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm I had a friend in the UK who sent me some of the killer bugs the way that Frank Sawyer tied them. He also sent me some Chadwicks 477 yarn so I can tie my own. He shared with me some historical facts about Mr. Sawyer that he learned from a friend of his who knew Mr. Sawyer personally. I never thought before on how a simple looking bug like this could ever amount to anything much, but oh how I was schooled while fishing these on the White River outside of Meeker, CO.

After reading Frank Sawyer's book and his description as to how he tied the Killer Bug, I watched the Oliver Edwards video where OE dresses the fly exactly as described by Frank Sawyer....... wire wraps from rear of hook shank, up towards the eye and back down the hook shank; then yarn from front to back, back to front and front to back of hook shank with the yarn; then tie off with several turns of the wire. I tried to do mine exactly as shown in OE's video and in FS's book, except I used the Oyster 290 yarn.

Bob
I too have watched that same video with O E. That man is fun to watch because of the way he keeps the traditional ways alive.