Gutermann silk vs Pearsall

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Irv

Gutermann silk vs Pearsall

Post by Irv » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:20 pm

I just picked up several 100 meter spools of Gutermann silk. Since I'm a novice at North Country flies I'm a bit confused as to the relative merits of Gutermann compared to Pearsall silks, compared with embroidery and sewing threads (silk and cotton). The Gutermann is much heavier and is multi-strand, but quite honestly makes a pretty good looking soft-hackle body (very textured). My lady, who is a very highly accomplished needlewoman and who knows something about the history of her craft is of the opinion that the demi-gods of fly-fishing and tying such as Pritt and Stewart used what was available, more often than not lifting the material from their lady's sewing basket. Related to the relative merits of tying with these silks is what their colors look like underwater. Thanks for your input, and I'm really enjoying reading this forum's contents; I'm learning a great deal. Irv
Mataura mayfly

Re: Gutermann silk vs Pearsall

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Irv, your good lady is correct on all counts by my book. ;)
Gutermann is more easily available here in NZ compared to Pearsall's. However I have not used much of it myself.
The denier (thickness) of the Gutermann thread reminds me a lot of the Kinkame #50 I picked up in the US. Good for fly bodies as you note, but heavy in regard to most tying threads as a rule and can lead to bulky heads.
Very suitable to use for fly bodies like buttonhole weight thread, where a "working" thread of finer denier is used to bind the heavier thread on, the heavier wound as a body and the finer thread tying it off at the thorax area.
You could also cut lengths of the Gutermann thread several inches long, separate the individual strands and use each to tie finer bodied or smaller flies.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Irv

Post by Irv » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks, Mataura! I've taken note of your valuable suggestions and will definitely tie up a bunch of spiders using your ideas!
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 am

Hi Irv,
I had an extensive review of most available silk thread on my website, sadly now defunct, due a company
take-over of my internet provider. But, I think I have preserved an article on this some where.
Send me your e-mail address on the PM section. In the meantime I'll have a hunt for it.
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:19 am

I see Gutermann is listed as 100 weight. What's the thickness difference between that and 3/0 Pearsalls?
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:19 am

Having used both Gutterman and Pearsall,
I found Guterman a wee bit heavier than Pearsall and the reference
to "button-hole" is well taken.

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 am

zen leecher wrote:I see Gutermann is listed as 100 weight. What's the thickness difference between that and 3/0 Pearsalls?
Somewhere I have seen a reference chart comparing denier to /0 gauges..... just cannot remember where. :oops:
I imagine 100 will be closer to gossamer weight threads, perhaps a little finer. A lot of bamboo rod makers use #100 silks from YLI or Gutermann as binding thread, gives a very fine flat transition from rod blank to binding.
I am in San Francisco again and will be visiting Britex Fabrics again (they have a web/phone/mail ordering/delivery service) to see if they have Kinkame #100 weight silks in stock.

Donald, great to see you posting again! :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Howdy All;

Here's one such chart...

http://whitetailflytieing.com/thread/

Hope it helps.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:44 am

I have been browsing through the last few months.
I realised the answer to your silk question, might be here:-
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page250.html