Rough Olive

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Rough Olive

Post by Smuggler » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:04 am

Thinking about Baetis fishing lately. I tied this on an Alec Jackson North Country hook size 15.

Start by waxing your silk, I used primrose and a nice wax that William gave me while we we're at the Lancaster show. Gives it a perfect olive shade. Image

Next tie in your feather, I used a slate colored hen.. I think Keough. Take your silk back to the point.

Select your dubbing. I used a pre-blended SLF olive dub. I took most of the flashy fibers out, I don't really like them. When applying the dubbing pinch and slightly twist.

Dub upto the tie in spot where your hen hackle is, take a turn or two in front of the hackle.

Two turns of hackle and tie off. Make a nice head with your whip finish and you're done!

Hope you enjoy.
Hook: Alec Jackson North Country size 15
Silk: Primrose waxed with dark cobblers
Dubbing: SLF Olive
Hackle: Keough Med. Dun
tie2fish

Re: Rough Olive

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:33 am

Very nicely done, Eric. The result should serve you well when the olives come out; a nearly identical tie has produced consistently on Bellefonte's Spring Creek tied on Sizes #18 and #20.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 am

Nice job on the SBS. An easy pattern to tie and very productive.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 am

Tied a handful up last night on a size 18 with a slightly larger hackle and a tail.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 am

O-18 ... Bingo!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Dang Eric!
These are special! Their beauty lies in their simplicity! You do realize that after you murderize a bunch of trouts, you must report back to us immediately and with a ton of pictures! Or, the curse will be upon you!
I'm really not that spooky.....
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Haha thanks Doug
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Eric,
I was wondering if you had a chance to flick a few olives over your favorite waters? It seems they are the first to show and the last to go! Have any hatched lately? I am still impressed with your "Rough Olive" from a couple weeks ago (SBS). I am always looking for an early season alternative to such favorites as PT's and all their variations and Iron Blues, etc. Your patterns look enticing to me (I think like a fish - just as my wife) and I know that my local lovelies would like them too even if they seldom see an olive!
Always impressed with what you are doing at the vice and on stream,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Unfortunately Doug, it's still unseasonably cold in my area. We need a couple days with mid fifties and sunshine to warm our waters up for olive activity. .. lately it's all I can think about. Local news says the second week of April should feel more seasonal.

I'm counting the days.

Thank you for the kind words though!