Bamboo rods for flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Other day I had the chance to hold/grass cast/carry a PHY Para 15 (wasn't it Boris?). I didn't actually fish it as river conditions were not conducive and I was being ugly with a team of nymphs so used a graphite as the cane rod was not mine and I did not want to goof a cast that lead to bead/hook strikes in the tip section.
But I digress.
To me, that rod would have made an ideal NZ sub surface rod and it was all to do with "feel". To me if I am fishing below the surface film, transmission of feel back through the rod and line are very important to me as this is how I feel "connected" to the fly/flies at the end of the tippet. That rod had the feel. It flexed back into the corks, much like my favourite glass rods do (as Swellcat points out, they are fine sub surface rods).
To me, the ideal is a rod of suitable line weight and length that you feel comfortable with that has a reasonably soft action (ie: bamboo/glass like). Now there are a few (very few when you consider the numbers on the market!) graphite rods I like for sub surface, rods like early Winstons, early Fenwick HMG's and believe it or not, my modern Sage VXP. But I hate the Sage "One".
If it is stiff as a pole and very fast actioned, odds are it is not going to become one of your favourite sub surface rods, can be a great dry fly rod....... but who in their right mind fishes dries on the surface all the time? :P
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 am

Another close encounter with the "cane kind" :lol: ;). That rod sounds beautiful Jeff. Beware, don't get bit by this bug, it's a bad one!
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Was a beautifully presented rod, well made and finished. The trouble was the weather and river conditions- I carried the rod waterside for a couple of hours but did not catch a fish. Mind you neither did I on the Sage that day.
The "bug" already had a hold on me long before this rod. :lol:
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Other day I had the chance to hold/grass cast/carry a PHY Para 15 (wasn't it Boris?). I didn't actually fish it as river conditions were not conducive and I was being ugly with a team of nymphs so used a graphite as the cane rod was not mine and I did not want to goof a cast that lead to bead/hook strikes in the tip section.
But I digress.
To me, that rod would have made an ideal NZ sub surface rod and it was all to do with "feel". To me if I am fishing below the surface film, transmission of feel back through the rod and line are very important to me as this is how I feel "connected" to the fly/flies at the end of the tippet. That rod had the feel. It flexed back into the corks, much like my favourite glass rods do (as Swellcat points out, they are fine sub surface rods).
To me, the ideal is a rod of suitable line weight and length that you feel comfortable with that has a reasonably soft action (ie: bamboo/glass like). Now there are a few (very few when you consider the numbers on the market!) graphite rods I like for sub surface, rods like early Winstons, early Fenwick HMG's and believe it or not, my modern Sage VXP. But I hate the Sage "One".
If it is stiff as a pole and very fast actioned, odds are it is not going to become one of your favourite sub surface rods, can be a great dry fly rod....... but who in their right mind fishes dries on the surface all the time? :P
Actually Jeff, close... it was a PHY Perfectionist modified. As you know the modifications were the spliced ferules and a 3 piece.

But I saw you do just fine in a tight backwater with the Sage VPX graphite....

Handsome fish, pity the angler wasn't... :lol: Great memories.
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Was a beautifully presented rod, well made and finished. The trouble was the weather and river conditions- I carried the rod waterside for a couple of hours but did not catch a fish. Mind you neither did I on the Sage that day.
The "bug" already had a hold on me long before this rod. :lol:
It was a tough day on the milk chocolate river..

Jeff strolling the river.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Boris - Thanks for sharing the photos. Your right, that is a handsome fish. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 pm

You're welcome. Such a handsome trout ought to be shown.

Seriously, it was great to visit and fish a little together.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Hmm . . . the picture he usually shows must be from the nineteen hundred and eighties . . . but who cares about looks? Anyone generous enough to spend a not-wee sum sending paradise duck, pukeko feathers, and merkin fur around the world must be a pretty decent fellow.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm

swellcat wrote:Hmm . . . the picture he usually shows must be from the nineteen hundred and eighties . . . but who cares about looks? Anyone generous enough to spend a not-wee sum sending paradise duck, pukeko feathers, and merkin fur around the world must be a pretty decent fellow.
Yes indeed Swellcat. He's a really decent fellow for sure.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:32 am

Geez, is this a fishing forum or a soap opera? :lol:
Nothing I do is not reciprocated by the good members here, yourself included swellcat.
And I would not own a beautiful wee modern cane rod if it were not for you Boris, but least you could have done was use the photo without me in it!
There is a story behind said fish- and its mate that was swimming around the same wee backwater- maybe Boris will share it with us?

Well, I may have gotten the model muddled- but I did get the correct original maker. ;)