Redneck Killer Bug Tutorial (an earth worm for Earth Day)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Re: Garden Hackle Tutorial (an earth worm for Earth Day)

Post by swellcat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:25 pm

A lot of worms would be washed into the creeks when we'd get heavy rain. Drifting a worm near the opening of a small creek would usually be rewarded with a nice fish.
You said it while I was composing it in my head. Yes, fishing the fresh inflows—where the ditch meets the creek; where the creek runs into the reservoir—is a classic channel catfish scenario. The fly ought to be worth flinging to carp, too.

One question about movement: do you see this as a static pattern, as in a dead-drifting, drowned worm? Tumbling in the current or retrieval action (in stillwater) will impart enough motion?

Would an extension of yarn or chenille—a free-moving "tail"—add anything besides hook-fouling potential?
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Ray, I'm not surprised to see so much discussion of such a simple pattern. It really is a nicely conceived and potentially deadly little pattern. Very cool and the thought of kids taking to it is a nice one. Nice post.
w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:33 pm

I remember reading a scientific survey of fish food in a large creek/small river not far from where I live. A dual digit percentage were worms and these worms were not terrestrial. Can't find it right now, obviously.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:21 pm

We used to do a kids fishing pond at the local sportsmans show. They would give us power bait to use but it cloudied up the water so bad by the second day and the place stunk. We started to just wrap pheasant tail around a hook and called it the pellet fly. Looked just like hatchery fish pellets. Worked better than the power bait and was much cleaner.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm

swellcat - I have not fished this yet, so I'm not sure what sort of movement the fly will have. I am hoping that it rides curved side down, and will flip on it's side when it touches bottom. This should give sufficient motion to attract attention and hopefully make the pattern somewhat snag resistant. I was also thinking of tying these on surpentine shaped hooks, but couldn't find them in my hook boxes (I swore I had some, but where they are is anyone's guess).

Carl - Only a redneck fishes pellet flies. I will add some to my box. Thanks for the new pattern. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 am

Ray, Howdy;

Excellent! Does it arrive at the water's side in it's own Savarin Coffee can?

I'm inclined to agree with what Jeff mentioned back on pg.1 about moving this to the SBS
and tutorials section, very appropriate imo.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:36 am

Hank/Jeff - I was reluctant to add it to the tutorial section because this was not a soft hackle pattern. I guess, if you squint really hard, you could consider this an "imitative wingless wet", but that's a real stretch. I figured I'd be laughed off the forum, even by posting it here. I'm glad you guys liked the tutorial.

Does anyone else have an opinion?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Well that is bollocks.
Have a good look at the book I sent you and you will see I am well used to nymph patterns that have nothing more than a tuft of throat hackle- or no hackle at all.
Are they any less of a fly than a North Country spider? Less of a fly than a scud, shrimp or killer bug?

Your worm is a genuine suggestion of what a trout may find in the water and treat as food- just like most all fly patterns are.
There is an awful lot of egg yarn sold in NZ........ are egg patterns flies? Come this time of the year they catch fish better than most other patterns.....
Is there not a famous river over that side of the Pacific where a certain way of moving your feet whilst wading (shuffle) has been banned? Are there not may many patterns used to imitate than type of worm?

If you cannot post something like your "Killer Tup Worm" in the tutorial section for fear of being laughed off the forum, we might as well all become dry fly elitists!
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:22 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote: ... we might as well all become dry fly elitists!
Not that! Dry flies are beneath me. :)
Bob
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:25 pm

redietz wrote:
Mataura mayfly wrote: ... we might as well all become dry fly elitists!
Not that! Dry flies are beneath me. :)
8-)