Wulff TT, SA Heritage and 406 Fly Lines

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Wulff TT, SA Heritage and 406 Fly Lines

Post by William Anderson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:50 am

A couple weeks ago I took a buddy up to Beaver Creek fly shop in MD and cast a few rods and a few lines. He's new to the scene and wanted to get into some new gear in a big way. It was fun lawn casting and a couple take aways were the joy of casting a Scott G 844-5 (8' 4" 4wt) and the Scientific Angler Heritage line. The owner was casting his 844-5 and had it paired with a SA Heritage line.http://www.scientificanglers.com/produc ... sentation/ From across the lawn I thought I was watching him cast a Wulff triangle taper line the whole time until I asked and he said it was something SA had introduced. It really looked like continuous taper of a Wulff TT line. http://royalwulff.com/products/triangle ... -fly-line/ I cast it for a bit and loved the fluid roll casts and very subtle turn over.

I've cast, but do not own the Wulff TT lines, and would like to end up with a couple in 3wt and 4wt. It would be interesting to cast the SA Heritage line and the Wulff TT side by side. And now another line has come into the frame. A small company on MT is making what they call the 406 line. http://406flylines.com/products/vintage ... rward-line. Folks who enjoy a slower rod are raving about these lines as well.

Anyone fishing these lines? Any comments regarding the tapers?

thanks.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Re: Wulff TT, SA Heritage and 406 Fly Lines

Post by zen leecher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:21 am

I don't have any of the 406 lines but do have a 3 and 4 wt Wulff TT line. I like the way those roll over and lay out the fly. I fish mostly still water and could feel different if it was creeks.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks Bill. I keep thinking about these lines. I know myself well enough to know there will be purchased coming soon. I'm surprised no one here has anything to offer on these. They're such a perfect fit for presenting spiders and soft hackles in general, among other things. I guess for as long as I can remember I've always wanted the advantage of an all purpose line. I'm just coming to realize that these lines could be just that. Very elegant roll out and plenty of power at shorter ranges.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:35 am

I've heard that really good casters (of which I most definitely am not one) can properly present a fly using level line ;) :twisted: . Happy Thanksgiving, all.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 am

tie2fish wrote:I've heard that really good casters (of which I most definitely am not one) can properly present a fly using level line ;) :twisted: . Happy Thanksgiving, all.
I'm glad you posted this Bill. It reminded me of when my Dad started me out on a bamboo rod in one of the local PA creeks. It was spooled with a level line. I still have a Cortland L6S I use from time to time. Bought it for $2.95 before graphite rods were invented.
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:12 am

Lots of very good reviews in a lot of different places for the 406 lines. One of their DTs is #1 on my list next time I need to replace a line. Recently, Craig Matthews, owner of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, had some very positive commentary on them in his weekly newsletter. Interesting as I know he sells SA and I believe Rio lines as well. The 406 lines are about 2/3rds the price of the top lines from other makers. They apparently are particularly well suited for bamboo rods.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 pm

I've heard nothing but fantastic reviews of the 406 lines. Line Eric stated tyne gang at Blue Ribbon highly praises them.

I think I'll be pairing a new glass rod William and I are building with a 406 DT 4
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 pm

tie2fish wrote:I've heard that really good casters (of which I most definitely am not one) can properly present a fly using level line ;) :twisted: . Happy Thanksgiving, all.

True, but really good casters can also cast an entire line without a rod, but I've never seen them fish that way. (Well, maybe Lee Wulff, but he didn't make a habit of it.)

That said, I used level lines as a kid. They're not that uncastable.
Bob
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:40 am

I cast a few of the 406 lines this summer at the Hardy Cup. I wound up coming home with a DT 5. It's quite nice, casts well and feels soft in the hand. I will probably get one of the DT 4 lines for some of my cane 8 footers. We have a design competition for cane rods at the Catskills Rodmakers meeting, and one of the perks for going to the trouble of entering the rod is that one of the manufacturers supplies you with a new line, so they are all standard. I entered a new 4 piece 8'3" 5 weight, which initially disappointed by not loading as well as I thought. Until the new Wulff TT arrived, at which time it came alive. Nice feeling line, too.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Howdy All;

So, if this TT line works well with the Bamboo rods would it be
a preferential kind of line for Fiberglass as well?? Curious mind at work ....

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin