Making Spun Dubbing Bodies & Using High Vis Dubbing Palette

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Making Spun Dubbing Bodies & Using High Vis Dubbing Palette

Post by letumgo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:59 pm

I spent the morning playing around making Leisenring spun silk dubbing bodies for the new imitative fly swap. I thought this might make a nice little tutorial, documenting how I make the bodies and showing a new tool (high contrast dubbing palette - visualization aid to make it easier for my nearsightedness).

The following attachment contains photos showing the process and the new tool. Hopefully the photos are self explanatory.

DOWNLOAD AND OPEN THIS FILE:
Spun Bodies Tutorial.pdf
(42.13 MiB) Downloaded 649 times
I have been struggling with posting photos from Google's Photo+ website. I've shared the album and posted links to the photos, but the did not work. I got laze and created a PDF document with all the images.

Basically I wanted to show the new tool I created to make it easier to see what I was doing when making dubbed bodies with two different dubbings. I made a little palette out of heavy water color paper. I cut the pallet in a curved shape, which fit nicely in my left hand. I then cut the adhesive strip from a small Post-It note. Fold the strip in half lengthwise, with the sticky side facing outwards. The strip with have sticky side facing up and downwards. Stick the strip onto the palette and then place a small bunch on either side of where you place you thumb.

The white watercolor paper forms a high contrast background, making it easy to see the dubbing fibers so you can judge how much your pulling off the ball of dubbing. I am very near sighted, and this makes it easier for me to see what I am doing.

The rest of the process is very straight forward. Just look at the pics and you will be able to figure out the process steps.

PHOTO TUTORIAL:

I take a PostIT note and cut off the small strip with the adhesive back. Fold the strip in half, length wise with the sticky part facing outwards on both sides. The sticky part will help hold the dubing in place, when you set the palette down between tying steps. Press the PostIT note strip to the center of the white thumb palette.

Wind the tying silk around the dubbing block, with your finger along the top edge. Make a dozen loose wraps, then cut all the strands in a single location. You now have 12 uniform pieces of silk, which are used to form spun bodies. I generally like to wax all the strands at the same time, by drawing the strands across a block of wax.

Once the strands of silk have been waxed, you can begin forming the spun bodies. I like to use two parallel blocks, when creating spun bodies. Personally, I find it more efficient to do the steps two at a time.

The rest of the photos are self explanatory (carefully lay down a layer of dubbing above the waxed thread, draw the second strand over the top, and twist together. Finished spun bodies are then stored on cards, for future tying sessions). I demonstrate two methods of spinning the bodies, first by hand (spin silk strands between your thumb and index finger, alternating between hands). The second set of photos shows a little metal tool I prefer for spinning the bodies. The tool keeps your fingers from getting covered in wax, making it easier to handle the dubbing.

SPINNING BODIES BY HAND (traditional method):

SPINNING BODIES WITH TOOL (my preferred method):

Yours truly, inspecting the spun bodies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Re: Making Spun Dubbing Bodies & Using High Vis Dubbing Palette

Post by hankaye » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Ray, Howdy;

Excellent SBS! Got it saved for future ref. BTU !!! (Big Thumbs Up) ;) .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 am

Well done, Ray.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:46 am

Photos added, and brief description of the process steps for making spun bodies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Nice work!! I note in the PDF that the cat takes a lot of interest.

Melfie loves watching me tie flies. Sits there on a wee table and purrs away......
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:19 am

Hi Ray,

Glad to see that you finally got the procedure to paste pictures from Google photo into the forum.

Well done mister.

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 am

Very nice Ray! Thanks for sharing this with us.

It's been too long since I've sat and done this myself.