Questionable Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

newriverspey

Questionable Fly

Post by newriverspey » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Prior to all the snow coming our way, I decided to get a day of fishing in. I tied the usual lot of flies for where I fish: midges, bwo's, and pheasant tails and right before I finished I experimented by using a partridge feather on a bead head pheasant tail. I have to admit that I looked at the fly and didn't give it much thought, actually I almost didn't bring them. The day started slow and towards the end of the day I tied on a pair of the new ties and it was the meal ticket for the day. So, has anyone else had a questionable tie that turned out to be a productive fly. If so, what was it?
Attachments
fly1.jpg
fly1.jpg (83.37 KiB) Viewed 12311 times
IMG_0642.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0642.JPG.jpeg (104.87 KiB) Viewed 12317 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Questionable Fly

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Beautiful trout! I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the photos of the fly and trout. Most of the stuff I tie would fall in the the "questionable fly" category. I do a lot of experimentation with different materials and techniques. Happily, many of the flies have proven to be effective when I've tested them on the stream.

The beadhead probably helped get your fly to the depth the fish were hanging out at. Once there, the mobil tail and hackle collar probably sealed the deal. Figuring out the combination of presentation depths, and fish-appealing fly features is all part of the fun. Fishing success with a "questionable" fly, will quickly turn it into a "confidence pattern".

Great post. I hope to see more from you in the future.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
swellcat

Re: UnQuestionable Fly

Post by swellcat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Dogma doesn't put fish in the net, but fishy flies do.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:31 pm

I think you will burn in hell for tying and fishing that fly!

Having said that I have jig hooks and appropriate beads on my tying bench. Out here we use them trying for a version of a "balanced fly" fished hung under an indicator.

People burn in hell for using indicators also.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 pm

zen leecher wrote:I think you will burn in hell for tying and fishing that fly!
I'd face some flames for that fish.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Love it! but even better is the name. I need a fly named "The Questionable". In fact everyone needs a fly named that in their box.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:08 pm

This thing was "questionable" at best when I tied it on, but it was only meant as a "split-shot on a hook" to get the trailing fly down to depth.

When it first got tied on it had a hackle of Starling behind the bead, biot abdomen and organza tail........
This guy decided it looked like food and "rearranged" it for me. :D

"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Old Hat wrote:Love it! but even better is the name. I need a fly named "The Questionable". In fact everyone needs a fly named that in their box.
That's a real good name for a fly. The trout lakes open up here March 1st and I'm starting to think about getting out. I can see it now. "Whatcha using?" "I have on "the questionable'"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:04 am

Otto, so great to you out doing so well with such utterly questionable flies. :roll:

:D W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 pm

I've fished a lot of high pressured waters, meaning that there was typically 20 fly fling'er ahead of me.... you know the place.... stand in line to flip a fly out in the same hole as all others...LOL
In many such areas, there are "local -got -to-use it" flies, and half those ahead of you done stuck three or four of the trout! in those places, the thing that will get you more jeers then cheers, is you suddenness lighting up the score board on every cast!! And many times the way that is most easily done is to use a fly, maybe similar but tweaked off pattern just enough to different!
Variation in color, size, movement, or presentation, will score as the fish otherwise know what "bites back".

Funny, how you can always see that one redheaded child on a gaggle! Think about it!

Make your day, fish a stray!!