GRHE Dark Version

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

SenecaLaker

Re: GRHE Dark Version

Post by SenecaLaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks you William and Doug for the replies. I want to make sure that I don't Hijack this thread, as it seems like it might move off the Doug's original post somewhat. If it would be more appropriate, I could start another thread. My current method of using fur form the Hare's mask is exactly what Doug described . I have been pulling/snipping a bit of fur from the mask in an area that seems like "The right place to pull from". I have no issue with processing an entire mask but have a few questions. The Jar method seems easy enough to blend the materials. Yeah, the hair conditioner is never in short supply in my house,and I don't think the ladies around the house would miss a drop or two.
Question -- after cutting/shearing, William mentioned that the fur be sorted. Is it sorted for length of fur? Color? or just mixed together entirely? It seems that after the process is complete, it will be much easier to create uniform bodies with the material. I have been struggling to create bodies that resemble some of the posts on the forum so far, so any help/advise would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance

Dave
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Dave,

Here is John Shaner's description of the water blending method for dubbing:
Greenwell wrote:"Using the water blending method for making dubbing. Place fur in a jar, with a bit of hot water and Dawn dish soap, shake, and rinse in a colander. Rinse again in a jar with a dab of hair conditioner."

Don't use Dawn (or any other soap) when water blending!!!!! It will make a sudsy mess!

I use about a teaspoon of HAIR CONDITIONER. This will act as a surfactant, allowing the fur to blend easily, and it also conditions the fur.

To water blend fur: For small quantities of fur, use a pint jar with a screw on lid. Fill the jar about half full with warm tap water, put in the fur, about a teaspoon of Crème Rinse type Hair Conditioner, and the fur to be blended. Screw on the lid and shake the jar for about 30 seconds. Pour the contents into a fine mesh strainer, I use a tea strainer I bought in the Dollar Store, and leaving the fur in the strainer, rinse well under warm running water. Squeeze fur dry and then allow to dry completely on layers of newspaper or paper towels. Make sure it's totally dry before packaging.

I wash feathers in Dawn before dying to clean and remove any oils, dirt, or possible bugs. In fact, any dirty, oily, etc. feathers or fur can be washed in Dawn in a large bowl, drained, rinsed in a colander, and dried. Don't wash on the skin, pluck out the feathers first.
If I remember correctly, John trims the hair off the rabbit mask by distinct regions on the mask (I think he uses four different regions...perhaps more). Each region gets trimmed into separate piles, then individually blended. Some day I hope to watch John trim a hares mask, so I can document the process in photographs.

1) Exterior Surface of Ears Only (forms short - rather splikey dubbing blend)
2) Interior Surface of Ears Only (somewhat longer hair fibers)
3) Poll Region (triangular area between base of the ears to the tip of the nose)
4) Remaining Cheek Regions (Left and Right sides) - The hair from the cheeks tends to longest and softest.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Ray, Howdy;

Somehow or other the first few lines in the Description you gave appear to contradict each other.
example, first you say to use Dawn to wash then rinse then the next line says to not used Dawn
or one will get a sudsy mess. So, are we to presume that the washing is a separate preparatory process
and the water blending is another completely of and by itself?
I ask as my brain tends to take written directions letter for letter then bundle the results in a blanket
and hides them from me leaving me like this :?: . It's tough living with a literal brain :roll: .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Let me jump in here with my "Shaner Experience" regarding the mixing of hare's mask dubbing. At the presentation he gave at the fly fishing show in Denver a couple of years ago he delineated three areas on the hare's mask from which one can collect seperate batches of hair: ears, cheeks and the poll (area between the ears and cheeks.) When I later queried him through the IM on this forum to refresh my memory of his procedure, I received this answer:

"To water-blend dubbing you will need the following: a small jar of about a pint capacity with a tight fitting top. Some Creme Rinse hair conditioner. A small wire mesh strainer.

1> Trim fur from skin.
2> Put fur in jar and fill halfway with warm tap water. Add about a teaspoon of conditioner.
3> Replace top and shake for about 30 - 60 seconds to blend.
4> Open jar and pour contents into strainer. Rinse fur in strainer under warm running water.
5> Press out excess water while fur is still in strainer.
6> Remove fur to several layers of paper towels or newspaper, press again and let dry complexly.

Done!

I've used this method for many years and it's the best way to blend fur in either small or large quantities I've ever tried. Let me know how you make out! "

As you can see, he did not mention the use of any detergent in the process. I followed his instructions on a couple of hares masks that I deconstructed into the finest hares ear dubbing I have ever used.

Cheers!
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Thank you all for your responses to my question and looking out for a newbie . I will be doing some mask shaving this weekend. Ill post the results in a pic or two in a new thread.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Hank - I had copied the quote from an old post. I've had little time to post these days, and when I do, I seem to confused things. Sorry. This may be a case of "less is more".

Your pal,
Ray (Creator of Confusion) :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Ray, Howdy;

Please deal with the confusion, see ya when we see ya.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 pm

I've used the "water " method before, but never tried the conditioner. Used a plastic pickle jar cuz I'm just clumsy. Always worked very well with various dubbing materials (Hare's Mask, wool, etc.)I'll try the conditioner now, though. :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 pm

I take this blending method one step further. When the blended dubbing is dry, I give it a spin in my coffee grinder. I very much like the result of that operation.

dd
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:46 am

daringduffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 pm I take this blending method one step further. When the blended dubbing is dry, I give it a spin in my coffee grinder. I very much like the result of that operation.

dd
+1
I use the same tactic - result is a perfectly mixed & fluffed dubbing.......John, the dark blue jar works better :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_9693.jpg
IMG_9693.jpg (306.67 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
Soft and wet - the only way....