Llama Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Llama Fly

Post by tie2fish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:12 am

This pattern was brought to the attention of national fly fishermen by Eric Leiser, who said that it was given to him by a Wisconsin fellow named Bennington. Some accounts also mention that there was a Menomonee Indian tier involved in its origins. I do not know why it was called "Llama", as there is no llama fur involved -- only woodchuck fur, which was a favorite material for Leiser.

Hook: 3X long or more to accommodate length of wing fur
Thread: Tying - black; underbody - white
Tag: Flat gold tinsel (perhaps added at later date?)
Rib: Flat gold tinsel
Tail; Grizzly hackle fibers
Body: Red silk floss
Wing: Woodchuck guard hair and underfur long enough to show maximum color variations
Collar: Hen grizzly hackle
Head: Black thread with white/black pupil eye (holographic stick-on eye is sub for painted)
Llama.jpg
Llama.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
tie2fish

Re: Llama Fly

Post by tie2fish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:00 am

My bad on at least one count: The Wisconsin tier credited with supplying the pattern to Leiser was Ray Benedict, not "Bennington". The Menomonee Indian was named Miles Tourellot.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:36 am

Bill nice fly indeed and tied sparse as it was said it should be. Those big eyes have to say; "Hey look at me". I don't fish a lot of streamers however the Llama is one that has found Its way into the mix. It was said by Miles Tourtillout to a good friend of mine that he had found the pattern in an old English fishing book. This was back in about 1973. Miles passed away not that many years later. Since that time there have been at least a few different articles written about the Llama and Mr. Tourtillout.

Regards, Jerry
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks, Jerry, for providing the correct spelling of Mr. Tourtillout's name.
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Also a favorite with me. I tend to tie it on a size 8 hook with a fuller wing and hackle, fishing it as a sculpin type streamer. The underfur and webby hackle make the fly look much chunkier than it is when wet, but it does not cast bulky when lifted from the water. It's well worth a try with an olive body as well. I'll have to try it as a wet fly with the sparse tie on smaller hooks as well. I can see that working quite nicely.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Nice. I like Eric Leiser's work. His books are most interesting. I believe the Llama Streamer was in his "Fly tying Materials". From memory I think Leiser wrote it was an old English pattern??

Llama fur is completely different stuff to anything on the fly so yes a mystery as to why it's called thus.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:34 am

tie2fish wrote:Thanks, Jerry, for providing the correct spelling of Mr. Tourtillout's name.
Well Bill, thanks for the recognition. However after your post I started thinking about the various articles I had read regarding the Llama and Miles. Each seemed to have a different spelling for the mans last name. I had simply copied his name from an article I had hear at home. Last evening I did an Internet search. I am now convinced the correct spelling for the Menominee Indian associated with the Llama fly is Miles Tourtillott. Whew! Now off to tie a few Llama.

Regards, Jerry
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:55 am

Jerry G wrote:
tie2fish wrote:Thanks, Jerry, for providing the correct spelling of Mr. Tourtillout's name.
Well Bill, thanks for the recognition. However after your post I started thinking about the various articles I had read regarding the Llama and Miles. Each seemed to have a different spelling for the mans last name. I had simply copied his name from an article I had hear at home. Last evening I did an Internet search. I am now convinced the correct spelling for the Menominee Indian associated with the Llama fly is Miles Tourtillott. Whew! Now off to tie a few Llama.

Regards, Jerry
More thanks for your perseverance, good sir! 8-)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 pm

A beautiful fly pattern Bill. Love the classic look to this one. Thanks for sharing. I remember hearing of the fly and always wanted to tie it but had forgotten about it. I am a big fan of woodchuck. I found a big variance between woodchuck samples. Some is very dull and feels dry. The good stuff has a nice flexibility to it and is very translucent with a nice sheen. It is one of those materials that really pays off if you can see it before buying any.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Bill,
Wow! What a great pattern! Indeed the "eyes" have it! That is a definite trigger point! And, when I think of all the woodchucks (groundhogs) that we shot and threw over the hill or stuffed down their holes.....then the coyotes came and literally wiped them out! But, that's another story!
Your pattern is awesome Bill and certainly worthy of a ton of praise and a big, fat trout! Thanks for sharing this beauty with us! I also appreciate the history behind it! Very interesting!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.