Lil' Dorothy

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Lil' Dorothy

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am

I would enjoy seeing everyone add their version here if you wouldn't mind. I know more than a few of us carry this pattern. It always reminds me of Mark and I enjoy fishing it more and more with each season. It's such an effective pattern, it seems to be creeping its way across my sulphur box, pushing out other patterns in it's path. So be it. I used to fish it in his honor, but now I stock up on these patterns because I wouldn't want to face this hatch without them.

For those not familiar with this little jewel, Mark Libertone started tying this orangy bodied sulphur with #722 embroidery thread. His version was typically tied with a bit brighter hackle, more of a cream than a pale ginger, but this is where I've come to enjoy this pattern. His dubbed thorax was brighter as well, but tying it with the creamiest red fox dovetails nicely with my more recent fetish. :D

Fulling Mill 35070 short shank. I love this hook. #16

Daiichi Alec Jackson North Country Spider hook. #16

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Lil' Dorothy 2017

Post by tie2fish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

Here's my take on the L'il Dorothy, tied as closely as I could to Mark's recipe ...
Li'l Dorothy (Pattern by Mark Libertone).jpg
Li'l Dorothy (Pattern by Mark Libertone).jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am

This is a sample of the fly with a hare's cheek thorax and a Daiichi 1530 hook.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:02 am

Bill, that is spot on. A much more honest representation than my own. Every time I see one of your flies it makes me want to be more careful with my own tying.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:08 am

www.WilliamsFavorite.com