Spring Grey Tenkara

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Spring Grey Tenkara

Post by tie2fish » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 am

I remember that this pattern caused a bit of a stir when it was posted several years ago, so perhaps it will generate some interest again ...

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
redietz

Re: Spring Grey Tenkara

Post by redietz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:19 am

Funny, but I don't remember it, which is odd, since it's a great looking fly.
Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am

Wow Bill that's a beauty. We use one in northeastern Pennsylvania very similar but it doesn't have the yellow tag. It's called "stick bait". Underneath the body I put two wraps of lead tape to weight it and get it down.....i'm going to have to try that ligher version .....it looks to be deadly.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:15 pm

I remember it very well. It is on my top list and looks like a relative to the Half Stone.

dd
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Theroe wrote:We use one in northeastern Pennsylvania very similar but it doesn't have the yellow tag. It's called "stick bait".
Interesting. "Stick bait" is an older term for a live caddis larva.
Bob
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 pm

That's gobsmackingly beautiful Bill, 20 outa 10!
Stunning tie and gorgeous photo, glad u re-shared it m8.

K :)
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 am

redietz wrote:
Theroe wrote:We use one in northeastern Pennsylvania very similar but it doesn't have the yellow tag. It's called "stick bait".
Interesting. "Stick bait" is an older term for a live caddis larva.
..... which was my preferred method in the late 60s and early 70s before I converted to the long rod. Positivity deadly bait. I remember sometime in the early 70s Mike 1971 in 1972 there was an article and field and stream titled naturals. It was all about fishing with an ultralight rod, 2 pound test and using caddis flies dobsonflies and stones fly nymphs as live bait.....
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 am

Theroe wrote: Positivity deadly bait. I remember sometime in the early 70s Mike 1971 in 1972 there was an article and field and stream titled naturals. It was all about fishing with an ultralight rod, 2 pound test and using caddis flies dobsonflies and stones fly nymphs as live bait.....
I'm sure it was/is a deadly bait. It's mentioned too frequently in texts over hundreds of years not to be. I suspect the reason there weren't artificials to represent it until comparatively recently in angling history is that it was too easy to use the real thing before fly fishing purism came along. (As opposed to live Mayflies, for example.)

I'm not sure how the fly pictured, especially when fished tenkara style, could possibly be mistaken for a caddis larva, though. I'd fish it without hesitation during a Hendrickson hatch, though.
Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:39 am

That's a good point, however I know nothing about Tenkara.
One point I do want to make: I do better with flies than one of my friends does with live nymphs. Many times we have fished side-by-side.... i've come to believe over the years it has a lot more to do with presentation than what's on the end of the line.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:42 am

Theroe wrote:That's a good point, however I know nothing about Tenkara.
One point I do want to make: I do better with flies than one of my friends does with live nymphs. Many times we have fished side-by-side.... i've come to believe over the years it has a lot more to do with presentation than what's on the end of the line.
Truth.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"