body - rear 1/2 tinsel silver, front 1/2 peacock herl
hackle - partridge
wing - duck quill brown

Regards,
Scott
ScottP

Re: Bastian's Riffle King

Postby catskiller9 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am

ScottP, Another outstanding tie and photo. Please add some definition as to your choice of Mustad 3906 #8 hook.
Also what size hook would you suggest fishing?
catskiller9

Postby ScottP » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pm

catskiller9 wrote:Please add some definition as to your choice of Mustad 3906 #8 hook. Also what size hook would you suggest fishing?

I had a bunch of the 3906s in the larger size that I'd never used, so I started playing around and was happy with the results; Geert Sherbrook has tied a series of wets over on the Classic Flytying forum using a larger size hook and it worked very well for him, so I thought I'd follow his lead. Also, tying on these hooks makes it easier to photograph. For fishing, I'd use anything from #10-16, concentrating mostly on the middle sizes (#12-14); kinda depends on the local bugs, although a lot of these are more attractor than imitator.

Regards,
Scott
ScottP

Postby letumgo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm

I've had success with wingless and winged wets all the way up to size 2, on the Mustad 3906 & 3906B hooks. The larger size hooks also help with fishing a pattern more deeply in the water column. I found them to very useful in early spring, when streams have higher flow, or somewhat turbid runoff conditions. At least in my experience fishing the streams of New York, the fish didn't mind the larger morsels. Other folks may have different opinions.

Handsome fly Scott, but my heart belongs to the Riffle Queen... ;) :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Return to Fly Dressings - Winged Wet Flies