Adams Flymph Evolution

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Adams Flymph Evolution

Post by Roadkill » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 pm

I think all three beautiful variations have a place in the flybox! 8-)

Sometimes it takes searching the entire water column to find the feeding fish especially in lakes. The first fly with the heavy hackles may put out vibrations in the water that fish may respond to by using their lateral lines. Countdown technique and varied retrieves can help you find the zone. I would readily try tying on #1 and following it with the others as trailers. The use of different sinking lines may help as well.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:16 am

Surströmming is worse than disgusting, I'd rather try horse poo. I've eaten surströmming once, the smell is horrible and it took a lot of brännvin to get it down. Then you have that awful taste in your mouth if you ever wake up again.

Bill, as far as i know, the Leisenring lift was a minor tactic in Big Jim's arsenal. I always thought flymphs were deadliest close to the surface.

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 am

daringduffer wrote: Bill, as far as i know, the Leisenring lift was a minor tactic in Big Jim's arsenal. dd
Could be Stefan. All I know is what he and Pete talked most about in the published literature that I have read.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 am

tie2fish wrote:
daringduffer wrote: Bill, as far as i know, the Leisenring lift was a minor tactic in Big Jim's arsenal. dd
Could be Stefan. All I know is what he and Pete talked most about in the published literature that I have read.
My guess is that it was emphasized due to being a new, or not well known, technique. Dave Hughes writes about this in that article in Fly Fisherman when elaborating on 'the subsurface swing'. This was written after he and a friend visited with Pete Hidy in the end of Pete's life. I've seen it discussed elsewhere too, but cannot remember where or in what language. True, if it is a minor tactic, it has to be one of the most well known minor tactics there is.

I'm not an expert in this field, so take it for nothing but an opinion or merely a guess. (I'm not an expert in any field). :( ;)

dd
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 am

daringduffer wrote:
tie2fish wrote:
My guess is that it was emphasized due to being a new, or not well known, technique. Dave Hughes writes about this in that article in Fly Fisherman when elaborating on 'the subsurface swing'. This was written after he and a friend visited with Pete Hidy in the end of Pete's life. I've seen it discussed elsewhere too, but cannot remember where or in what language. True, if it is a minor tactic, it has to be one of the most well known minor tactics there is.

I'm not an expert in this field, so take it for nothing but an opinion or merely a guess. (I'm not an expert in any field). :( ;)

dd
Hi DD and Bill,

In Sports Illustrated flyfishing by Vernon S. Hidy I found the following quotation:

In the same booklet is also a drawing where it is clear that the Leisenring lift is mainly a dowstream technique.

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:47 am

Bill and Ruard,
Bill, your patterns each one, are fantastic! You truly have a mastery of materials and supreme control of techniques that is not duplicated by too many folks including and especially me! Along with your beautiful work at your vice, you have the utmost confidence when you approach the stream because of such patterns like the ones above! You are a kindly, gentle terrorist Bill when it comes to taking difficult trout in various conditions! I have seen it and I have no reason to believe that you are no less such a terror today than in the past!
Ruard, I loved reading the pages you posted above from Pete Hidy! The diagram is also very helpful and quite interesting! Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece with us!
Flymphs Forever,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 am

Doug - You just bought it all into perspective for me:
Bill Shuck, trout terrorist!

:lol: :lol:

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:22 am

I just received a copy of the latest issue of The American Fly Fisher where Lance Hidy presents the chronology of his fathers deeds in the world og fly fishing. It is a very well written piece that also includes a photo of Lance who is a very handsome man. On page 19 he mentions the visit Dave Hughes and Rick Hafele made with Pete Hidy in 1980 when they discussed the tying and fishing of the flymph.
In Wet Flies, Hughes remembers that Hidy "lamented that everybody came to associate both of them (Hidy and Leisenring) with the single method they covered in the first book, the Leisenring Lift.He said that it was just one of many methods Leisenring used, and it was far from the most important. Pete described his own favorite method to me.
Hughes wrote about this method, which he called "the Hidy Subsurface Swing", in an article in Fly Fisherman 1990. I remember it surprised me then, so it was probably new to me. I can't recall wherefrom I have additional information. It might come from discussions here in Scandinavia.

I probably shouldn't have called it 'a minor tactic'. I did so with reference to Skues first book, as a joke, but also with that Hughes article in mind.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

I was just going through stuff as well and in the letter to The International Society of Flymph Fisherman there was that card that had the two flies attached and talks about using Hare's Mask. Well there is a note on the backside of the card that reads...

"...please keep in mind that the lymph's versatility offers 3 important advantages:
1. It can be fished on the surface as a dry fly.
2. It can be fished in the surface film when slightly wet.
3. You must give your leader a tug to sink the fly after casting it above a fish that is feeding on flymphs beneath the water. (this I assume is an advantage in it creates the air bubbles that get trapped)
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Old Hat wrote: 3. You must give your leader a tug to sink the fly after casting it above a fish that is feeding on flymphs beneath the water. (this I assume is an advantage in it creates the air bubbles that get trapped)
No, it's just to get it through the surface film -- otherwise it will float or be stuck in the film.
Bob