A Review of My Box

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

A Review of My Box

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Good evening everyone,
As part of my filling back up of some critical fly boxes in my vest, I started with my nymph box! It's looking rather anemic! I started tying to fill it back to a good working level. I started with (or should I say continued with) tying Dick Talleur's Pea-ca-bou nymph. I took a picture of it and sent it off to Ray. I then plucked a couple more from the box and snapped them and sent them off! They are pictured below! Thanks Ray for posting these!

The Pea-ca-bou is a great pattern that I entered into the recent Peacock Swap hosted by Ron Eagle Elk! It is a killer at any depth and in each of the four seasons. Relatively easy to tie and it has that essential element that should be in all patterns, softness! Peacock hurl is not a bad thing to have in a pattern as well!

Next, is a March Brown Spider Nymph! I hope I'm not rocking the proverbial boat here but this is a weighted version of the famous March Brown Wet Fly. I did this a while back to reach some rather large bluegill in deeper water in one of my favorite lakes. The pattern seems to be accepted wholeheartedly down deep as well as just below the surface. I still use the wet version a bunch but have the weighted versions in case I need to go slumming way down low!

The last is Walt Dette's Isonychia Nymph. I learned to tie it from Eric Leisers great book, "The Dettes - A Catskill Legend"! It is a little more complicated to tie but well within the limits of duffers like me! Walt did a great thing by inventing this beautiful pattern! It is dynamite pattern on my locals and again has many softer parts just like all patterns should have!

Many thanks again to Ray for posting the pictures! I would like to do this again soon! I have a couple others that may be of interest to Y'all! Do you guys have any suggestions for what patterns would fit well into my nymph box! I welcome any and all suggestions and recipes!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
chugbug

Re: A Review of My Box

Post by chugbug » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:48 am

Doug, your peacabou is probably my very favorite of that swap. (I have to say "probably" only because my head spins thinking of what well-tied flies are in that swap.) And these others you post here seem just as nicely tied if not nicer. What a terrific fly that isonychia is!

I can't vouch, but I'd love to see what you would do with Atherton...
Screenshot_20221102-012554.png
Screenshot_20221102-012554.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Partsman

Post by Partsman » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:41 am

Dougsden, all three are excellent, but the iso really stands out! I’m going to have look up the recipe for that one, your tying is top notch. Thanks for sharing.
Mike.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:15 pm

Dear Chugbug and Partsman,
Thank you guys for the kind words! It is much appreciated! I am not a notoriously talented. In fact, I have crossed the threshold of "imitative tying". Taking others patterns and tying (imitating) them as close as I can! I have created a few patterns thru the years to meet the hatches as I encountered them! The Pea-ca-bou nymph is a prime example of close imitation borrowed from Dick Talleur!
I have known about Atherton's patterns for some time and I slobber over them every time I see them! They are are super easy to tie but bringing the right materials together to the vice can be a little tricky! You have spurred me on to tying them this winter to fill my empty box! Thanks for that!
Partsman, the iso nymph that Walt Dette conceived many years ago is an excellent pattern and a bit more challenging to tie (more steps involved)! The finished product makes it well worth the effort! One small detail about his recipe is the tremendous amount of lead weight he uses. I have always (and on purpose) under-weighted most of my nymph patterns due to preference. I fish mostly stillwaters. Sometimes when I step on stream, I pay the price for not having my nymphs weighted enough to get them down deep. I now have a seperate nymph box for "super weights" like the Dette iso nymph!
Thanks again guys (everyone) for support and kind comments!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
nfrechet

Post by nfrechet » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:11 am

nice tying!

Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks Guys,
I am inspired by the Atherton patterns, motivated by everyone's encouraging words, and laughing my socks off over Harry the Sasquach (from the movie Harry and the Hendersons - one of my all time favorites)! You don't get this kinda of love and support on other forums!
Thanks everyone!
Doug
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:10 am

Doug,

That is not Harry the Sasquatch, it is actually our friend Norman. At least that’s how I picture him. :twisted: :D :lol: (friendly ribbing)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:01 am

Doug, your Pea-ca-bou is a fly everyone should have. Simple to tie and very effective on the water. So why not have plenty of them?

I must agree with the others on that Dette's Iso is nice too. What color thread did you use on that fly, wine?
DarrellP

Post by DarrellP » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:32 pm

Beautiful flies! You sell yourself short. You are a master tyer.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:09 pm

Fishnkilts,
Yep! Danville's may not call it that but, it's their very dark maroon colored 6/0 (70 denier I believe?). I am just not remembering their color name! It is a very interesting color. I use it quite a bit on certain streamers and soft-hackles crowned with a starling feather! Starling and .....wine! Not a very tasty combination is it?
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on my patterns. I just wish I could tie like Roadkill! I am a master hack rather than a master tier!
Dougsden