Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph

Post by ForumGhillie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 am

Today is the Badger Spring Opener in Madison Wisconsin. Several of us gentlemen fly tyers gather there to socialize and have fun talking fly fishing, etc. Last time I had my fellow FF'ers have to guess the fly I brought. I wagered $5.00 to the first person who could guess the fly pattern. I was totally unaware that some guy who I have no clue who he was just happened to bring the exact same fly pattern as me to show to some guys, including one of my friends. What are the odds of that happening??? Needless to say I quickly lost my $5 bill.

So this year I am going to try again, with a pattern by Dave Whitlock called the "Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph". We will see if I can out fox them all this time. They have to name the fly pattern and the originator.
Red-Fox-Squirrel-Hair-Nymph.jpg
Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph originated by Dave Whitlock
Red-Fox-Squirrel-Hair-Nymph.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 297 times
(I figure none of my fellow WI. FF'ers will be on the FlymphForum this morning so I should be safe posting this.)
upstatetrout

Re: Red Fox Squirrel Hair Nymph

Post by upstatetrout » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 am

Very nicely tied!!Will Dave Whitlock be at the show?

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:02 pm

That is a very well known pattern; I believe you will lose another $5 bill.

Tight Lines- Ken
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:02 pm
That is a very well known pattern; I believe you will lose another $5 bill.

Tight Lines- Ken
Yes, I lost the challenge again, but only $4.00 this time. I am sure the my fellow Wisconsin FF chaps will chime in.

I placed photos from yesterdays Badger Fly Fishing Spring Opener in the Fishing Cabin rather than here... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8287

There is also more here... viewtopic.php?f=5&p=93494#p93494
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I believe this is the critter that you would tie one of these flies from. This one in particular may be reduced to dubbing soon. He, or one of his friends decided to take up residence under the hood of my wife's car recently. Probably seemed like a nice place to live considering the below zero temps that we've had. I would have been ok with it, but he decided to chew wires while in there. Ouch, there goes $1200 bucks . He stopped long enough the other day to snap a photo of. Cute little guy.

Dave
Attachments
20190209_124446.jpg
20190209_124446.jpg (180.3 KiB) Viewed 163 times
swellcat

Re: Fox Squirrel Fur

Post by swellcat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Yours appears to have a thick, prime winter coat befitting your climate. They don't grow that much insulation 1200 miles southwest of Livonia.

Prettiest fox squirrel I ever saw was one Christmas Day in northwest Missouri, just across from Nebraska, near the river. The animal had a thick, fluffy coat much like yours, but the cinnamon/rust tones were so dark as to almost look burgundy. Had some pheasants not just flushed, that fine fox squirrel might've come home with me.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

SenecaLaker wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm
I believe this is the critter that you would tie one of these flies from. This one in particular may be reduced to dubbing soon. He, or one of his friends decided to take up residence under the hood of my wife's car recently. Probably seemed like a nice place to live considering the below zero temps that we've had. I would have been ok with it, but he decided to chew wires while in there. Ouch, there goes $1200 bucks . He stopped long enough the other day to snap a photo of. Cute little guy.

Dave
Dave, when you’ve dispatched the little bugger please send me a chunk of the hide! Yep, they have caused a lot of damage for me, not only chewing the computer wires in my car but loads of damage under the house ruining all the insulation. I shoot them all on sight. Here in Northern California I only see the grey tree rat and now their carrying a version of mad cow disease. Grrr!😡
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Here is a red fox squirrel skin I bought out West last year for $16.00. the photos colors are a little off and I don't have time right now to fix the photo. It has some deeper rust colors. cream and light rust colors on the sides. It is a wonderful skin for body dubbing and tais on some wet fly patterns...
Attachments
red-fox-squirrel.jpg
red-fox-squirrel.jpg (123.31 KiB) Viewed 130 times
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am

Nice looking skin John!
And the old fashioned wooden ruler with holes to fit in a 3 ringed binder! Priceless.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:34 am

upstatetrout wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am
Nice looking skin John!
And the old fashioned wooden ruler with holes to fit in a 3 ringed binder! Priceless.

Tom
Tom, good eye... that old ruler I have had for many years. My kids have no appreciation for it, but I am glad to hear someone other than myself appreciates old wooden rulers. :lol:

BTW, you, Martha are narcodog were with me when I bought the red fox squirrel skin and snowshoe hare's feet on our drive back from the fly fishing show in Ennis.