Woven Nymph Body Fly Patterns

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Woven Nymph Body Fly Patterns

Post by ForumGhillie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 am

This is all Beatbutt's fault. He sent a photo of some awesome looking woven bodied flies to PhilA and me. Since it has been raining cats & dogs lately and everything is flooded I woke up the last couple of mornings with visions of creating woven body nymphs.

After several failures and watching numerous YouTube videos I found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... YrDWxUTWK8), which makes a pretty simple, but nice looking woven nymph body. I figured this would not be to difficult for my brain to figure this out. :lol:

I don't have any embroidery thread so I have been playing with 2 strands of YLI #100 silk thread for each color for a smaller woven nymph body. It looks pretty darn good once you get the hang of it. I will have to go to Hobby Lobby and see what embroidery threads they have available.
woven-nymph-body.jpg
woven-nymph-body.jpg (39.34 KiB) Viewed 216 times
So who else ties woven body nymph patterns?
PhilA

Re: Woven Nymph Body Fly Patterns

Post by PhilA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Nice fly John! Bearbutt's flies are indeed an inspiration. He could lead you down a slippery slope, however. True artists like him are hard to keep up with. With enough rain and flooded rivers though, you might wake up aspiring to this...

A George Grant woven nymph...

Cheers,
PhilA
Variant

Post by Variant » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi John,

I tie up a pattern called the LaFonte Wobble-Rite Caddis Pupa.
I am not set up to post pictures as of yet but if you look on pages 84-89 of THE CADDIS AND THE ANGLER there is a step by step to weave the pattern. Once you get the technique down you can change the colors of the floss for different patterns. You also can modify the fly by wrapping a hackle collar to look more like a Mayfly nymph.

I really like your pattern, very lifelike.😀
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Lou, thank you. i will look at that pattern in Solomon's book.

While running errands before the rain started again I stopped at Hobby Lobby and bought a bunch of embroidery thread for $0.58 per package. A whopping $7.00 investment.

Embroidery-thread.jpg
Embroidery-thread.jpg (109.72 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Testing the thread out they work fine. there are 6 strands so I reduced it down to 4 strands. I tied a knot at the end of the thread so when i am creating the body I don't have a bunch of lose thread strands. It seems to work well.

Woven-Embroidery-body.jpg
Woven-Embroidery-body.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Although I really like the effect, this thread fuzzes and frays pretty easily so I will see what else I can find on the web.

PhilA, I don't think I will live long enough to figure out how to tie the Grant woven nymph.
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:16 pm

ForumGhillie wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 am
This is all Beatbutt's fault.
I plead nolo contendere.

However, I cannot take credit for the ties. I'd have to give it a lot more practice to get the body tapered like these:

They are all tied with floss bodies--. Grant tied with nylon monofilament. Though saying he "tied' those bullets is a misnomer--I just don't know what word to use? Ask anyone who tied for Hank Roberts....

bb
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:32 am

bb, I have to see those flies sometime. Then we need to dissect one to learn how they were tied.

I am still perfecting my woven body fly pattern technique.
Woven-Body-Caddis-Pupa.jpg
Woven-Body-Caddis-Pupa.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 130 times
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 am

ForumGhillie wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:32 am
bb, I have to see those flies sometime. Then we need to dissect one to learn how they were tied.
A time-honored and proven tradition--learning to tie by untying, as Walt & Winnie did, and others too.

But of course, we will do that, and join the crowd. Perhaps we should get a table at next spring's Badger Opener, with Phil and Henry, and spend the day untying flies. We will of course need an amanuensis at our elbows, to draw and notate as we untie, and marvel, and curse at the wonders we are discovering in the face of our own mediocrity.

It'll be fun.

Perhaps we should make a list of flies to untie? I have a bunch of Hank Roberts woven nymphs to untangle. What else? A Kenny Abrames flatwing maybe?

Here's a Hank Roberts Domino--size 4 or 6, not sure--note the thin abdomen and tapered thorax--

bb
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:39 pm

the "stoker-of-all-things" bearbutt sent that photo my way as well......weaving is a whole other black hole to go down !

I returned my colleagues favor by sending him a picture of some of Ivans woven stones:
Attachments
Ivans woven stones.jpg
Ivans woven stonefly
Ivans woven stones.jpg (249.56 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm

PhilA wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:45 pm
Nice fly John! Bearbutt's flies are indeed an inspiration. He could lead you down a slippery slope, however. True artists like him are hard to keep up with. With enough rain and flooded rivers though, you might wake up aspiring to this...

A George Grant woven nymph...

Cheers,
PhilA
Phil - that is an excellent example of Mr. Grants work......I would really like to see a few more angled shots of that pattern, if you dont mind..

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm

PhilA, "I don't think I will live long enough to figure out how to tie the Grant woven nymph."

ME, EITHER! :D :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold