March Brown

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

March Brown

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:59 pm

Hare and Hen Pheasant?
Hares ear Soft Hackle?

It doesnt really matter to me. The March Brown is a fly for all seasons.

I tied up a few dozen Sexy Walt nymphs. I had the Hares mask dubbing already to go. The Mylar ribbing was sitting there in plain view, and I had a bag of juvenile Hen Pheasant feathers sitting on the desk. Sadly, I lost these in my freezer many years ago, and only recently found them. No, not my wife's freezer. The freezer where I keep my beer in the fridge next to it. Kind of a man cave appliance.

Back to the March Brown. I can honestly say I have never seen an actual March Brown insect. In early Spring the March Brown is deadly on the waters I fish. In my mind I believe they are taking it as a Caddis. The rest of the year I can nymph it. I can use it as an attractor. Many times it is the soup du jour. The pattern the fish are keying on. In late Spring through out the Summer it can be, and is deadly when I swing it down and across.

As I sat down and transitioned from the Sexy Walts to the March Browns I asked myself why I liked this type of pattern. Is it better than the Partridge and Peacock, the Yellow Spiders I like? Is it better than the ugly Muskrat I use so often? I had been pondering this for a few hours. No answer came to me.

The flies had been finished and were stuck to a magnet that is glued to one of the lamps I use. I keep them there until I can get a flybox to put them in. I retrieved the box I wanted to put them in from the garage. I opened the box and scanned for a row where I wanted to place them. I noticed I had about 6 varieties of March Brown soft hackles in the box. Maybe one or two flies of each pattern. I did not have a eureka moment, but it did dawn on me as to why this type of pattern is different than the afore mentioned flies. I tie this pattern with different thread, thread colors, ribbing and hackle all the time. For me it does not matter if I use Partridge, grouse, hen pheasant, or hen chicken hackle. It does not matter if I use Uni, UTC, Veevus, or Danville thread. It does not matter if I use Black, Red, Orange, Brown, or yellow thread. It does not matter if I use copper, French Tinsel, or mylar as a rib. As long as the body is Hares Mask, I know I will catch fish with it.

The Peacock and Partridge is just that. Peacock and Partridge. The ugly Muskrat I use and love only works for me when tied with a Brown hen hackle. The Spider type flies I use and love so much, are only successful for me when I use Partridge on them. The March Browns I tie have never had to be so specific.

Just some ramblings on this 1st day of the year. It is time to tie some Code Red PT nymphs. Drink some beer, and sip bourbon.

Happy New Years from Western Colorado.

Oh yes. My comments are opinion only. I do not have one lick of data to support one darn thing I just said. 8-)

Time to concentrate on some Code Red PT nymphs
Last edited by DUBBN on Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roadkill

Re: March Brown

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:38 pm

Very buggy in good way!! ;) :)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Roadkill wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:38 pm Very buggy in good way!! ;) :)
When using Hares mask I wouldn't have it any other way except Buggy. ;)

I just remembered. I need to whip up some Mole Walts like you posted. That has to be a winner!!!
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:40 am

Nicely done; I love the buggy-ness. Mole Walts is probably how I would pronounce 'pole vaults' after too much beer and bourbon.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:49 pm

Wayne - I am intrigued by your paragraph about all the different ways you tie the March Brown (different hackle, thread, etc.), yet always with hares ear dubbing. Are the variations done to match specific insect colorations throughout the season, or simply keeping things interesting while tying? It seems that the hackle and thread color would change the overall coloration of the fly when fished.

I find it interesting that the fur dubbed body is the key element in many of our most successful fishing flies. In my opinion (without any proof), the fur changes way a fly behaves in the water (increasing drag coefficient making a fur body fly sink more slowly and respond more naturally to small currents during the drift; changing the density of the fly; capturing air bubbles; changing the texture of the fly making it "squishy" which may cause a fish to hold onto it for a few more seconds, allowing time to set the hook).

What are your thoughts?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:42 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:49 pm Wayne - I am intrigued by your paragraph about all the different ways you tie the March Brown (different hackle, thread, etc.), yet always with hares ear dubbing. Are the variations done to match specific insect colorations throughout the season, or simply keeping things interesting while tying? It seems that the hackle and thread color would change the overall coloration of the fly when fished.
Ray, the variations are not to imitate any specific insect. Like I mentioned, I have never seen a March Brown. If I have, I did not know what it was. In March when the caddis start, to appear along with the Redquil Mayflies the March Brown/Hares Ear SH is a logical pattern to go to. At least for me it is logical.

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:49 pm
I find it interesting that the fur dubbed body is the key element in many of our most successful fishing flies. In my opinion (without any proof), the fur changes way a fly behaves in the water (increasing drag coefficient making a fur body fly sink more slowly and respond more naturally to small currents during the drift; changing the density of the fly; capturing air bubbles; changing the texture of the fly making it "squishy" which may cause a fish to hold onto it for a few more seconds, allowing time to set the hook).

What are your thoughts?
The only thing I can deduct from my experiments is, it must be the Hares mask dubbing. Then I strain my brain when I remember that the standard Gold Ribbed Hares Ear is a horrible pattern in my experience. I know, who could hate the Hares Ear nymph? Me, I can use a Hares Ear Soft Hackle and catch way more fish than with the standard nymph.

Squishy? Drag coefficient? I do not know Ray. I am not the brightest bulb on the tree, and it hurts my head to think about these variables. :lol:

One thing I have thought about ever since I was unfortunate enough to meet Gary Lafontaine. Bubbles. More exact, the lack of importance bubbles play in the construction and presentation of wet flies and nymphs. I am not a Lafontaine fan. A nice shiny rib will do more to imitate bubbles than any feather or fur can. Rub a minute amount of fish slime, moss, decaying leaves, or mud on your pattern and see how many bubbles the fly will hold.

The March Brown tied with Hares Mask is a favorite of mine. So darn versatile, and so darn effective no matter how it is constructed. Within reason. :shock:

Do not get me started on beads and the March Brown! :D
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:59 pm

Thank you! I thought there was something wrong with me; I hate the GRHE, as traditionally tied! That one pattern alone gave me a 20 year inferiority complex. It wasn't until I turned the damn thing into a soft hackle that I started to catch fish with it. Now, as a soft hackle, it occupies a priority position in my boxes.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:50 am

Mike62 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:59 pm Thank you! I thought there was something wrong with me; I hate the GRHE, as traditionally tied! That one pattern alone gave me a 20 year inferiority complex. It wasn't until I turned the damn thing into a soft hackle that I started to catch fish with it. Now, as a soft hackle, it occupies a priority position in my boxes.
Ha ha ha