Cranefly Larvae

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Cranefly Larvae

Post by DUBBN » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:06 am

tworod wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:41 pm One of my all time favorites. Here is my iteration on a size 6 3906B.
It is a fly that I find is the antithesis of the pressured trout/small fly advice you hear today. It is just as good of a fly on spring creeks as it is on freestones in larger sizes. I believe it represents a cranefly larvae and so don't be reluctant tie and fish in larger sizes. When the Livingston spring creeks allowed keeping trout many years ago you would find that the fish were stuffed like sausages with cranefly larvae. It was amazing to see first hand what the fish were feeding on and it wasn't necessarily all of that small stuff on top.

These will do nicely this Spring, and after every rain storm. Thanks Tworod

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Cranefly Larvae

Post by letumgo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:19 am

Extraordinary! Both of them!

At some point, could you please post the recipes or do a tutorial on how you typed them? I’m interested in copying them.

What are your thoughts on the hook choice? I believe I have some of those, but don’t think I’ve ever fished them. How do you like them?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:36 am

I'll second Ray's request. It isn't often we're presented with truly unique ties. My first thought when I saw your top fly was, Sonic the Hedgehog on a hook.

As soon as you tell me how, I'm tying a bunch of these.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:36 am

letumgo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:19 am Extraordinary! Both of them!

At some point, could you please post the recipes or do a tutorial on how you typed them? I’m interested in copying them.

What are your thoughts on the hook choice? I believe I have some of those, but don’t think I’ve ever fished them. How do you like them?
Ray, I love this hook. I use it for Pigsticker Worms in sizes12 to 6. I learned the hard way not to over dress the hook with long tails or legs. It twists the leader easily. The style has a reputation as a hook that "brains" trout. In my opinion that is just urban legend. I have not brained a trout with it. I have brained a couple trout with a size 4 200R.

These are not the first Cranefly Larvae that I have tied on this hook. This one is.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:58 am

Ray, Mike. Super simple ties, like 99.99% of my patterns.
Dub the body with Muskrat. Tie in a Pine Squirrel collar using a split thread. The first fly has dyed Brown Pine squirrel for the collar. The second fly has natural Pine Squirrel hair, taken from the belly.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Thanks Sensei. ;). Or should I call you Master Wayne…
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:02 pm

I can do that; thank you, Wayne.
tworod

Post by tworod » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Simple but more imitative than the Gray Nymph for the cranefly larvae. A better pattern in Driftless spring creeks in the early spring. Just olive grey dubbing and ostrich herl. And, lots of lead wire.
Attachments
Crane Fly.jpg
Crane Fly.jpg (46.43 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:28 pm

I didn't realize that my cat had never seen my muskrat pelt. When I brought it , and she happened to be in the proximety, the rodeo started.

I am safe as is the pelt. My pants leg has a couple slices from her claws in it. She attacked the pelt like it was a threat to her kittens. She was spayed years ago and has never had kittens.

There is a couple bites and gouges in the pelt, but it is fine. That cat went nuts!

This is the second muskrat pelt I have gone through in my tying endeavors.

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:04 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin