Woven Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jcwillow777

Woven Nymph

Post by jcwillow777 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:49 pm

Bead head, heresy of all heresies! Gonna try some this year in a few different colors.

Hook: Wholesale Fly Company - Model 13
Bead: 2.4mm Brass Bead - Metallic Brown
Thread: 6/0 Brown
Body: DMC 25 Embroidery Thread (top - 838, bottom 834)
Rib: Small copper wire
Collar: Brown dubbing

Last edited by jcwillow777 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Woven Nymph

Post by letumgo » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:09 pm

Greg - Could you do a tutorial on this fly? I’d love to learn how you created the body on this pattern. Really nice!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:12 pm

Ray,

I learned watching YouTube. I posted a couple of YouTube videos that explain how to do it very well. Probably better than I could. There are two methods; the overhand knot version and the weave version. The one I did is the weave.

When I first started learning how to do this I got frustrated doing the weave. I had a hard time holding the embroidery thread without it slipping. Once you start the weave there is no stopping til you are done. So, I went to the overhand knot version. It is much easier and more forgiving. These nymphs turn out a little flatter than the woven ones, but much neater.

I tied this one on a #14. The embroidery thread has 6 strands. I used 3. I tried with 1, 2 and 3. 3 worked out best for me. But when doing smaller I will go with 2 strands. I used 2 strands when doing the overhand knot version on a 14 and it worked fine.

To help me hold onto the embroidery thread so it wouldn't slip, I used 2 hackle pliers, one for each color. This might not be an issue for you, but it sure was for me. I will say that when learning I tied and ripped it apart for a few hours! Once I started using the hackle pliers it made it much easier and a lot less frustrating.

I watched several videos and most turn the hook upside down. It really doesn't matter. I did it with the hook upright.

I didn't add any wire to the hook, other than the rib.

The main thing is to put the color for the top on the side of the hook away from you, and the color for the bottom of the fly on your side of the hook. The first video below explains everything pretty well.

Weave Method:

Overhand Knot Method:
Greg
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:03 am

Thanks Greg.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:13 am

Your fly looks pretty darn cool, Greg. Neatly tyed, yet buggy.
jcwillow777

Post by jcwillow777 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:20 am

Thought I'd do one with an overhand knot to show the difference. I always tie off and cut the thread when weaving or knotting. I did this with 2 strands. Much easier to take pics with this method.

Greg
bassman

Post by bassman » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:43 pm

Lots of ways to do weaves and they all make nice flies. I've done them as small as 20 but smaller is beyond me.
Nick
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:02 pm

Guys,
These are really awesome looking patterns! So lifelike! Not exact imitation but inching a bit closer! Our dear departed Pal Bill Shuck dove into woven patterns for a while and he was quite a good weaver like you! Intriguing stuff fellows! Please show us more!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tworod

Post by tworod » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:19 am

Check out troutpredator.com, there is a weaving video showing an Aaron Jasper technique. He uses two bobbins that make weaving much easier. Not sure that woven flies make any difference but they look great.
Attachments
Woven Body.jpg
Woven Body.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 3924 times