Pattern Specific Species

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Pattern Specific Species

Post by DUBBN » Mon May 30, 2022 12:05 pm

I was able to access a high mountain lake that is located at about 9,000 feet. I was in search of Arctic Grayling. As is my usual, I was nymphing. I started with a size 16 March Brown Soft hackle, and a light pink egg.

The first fish was a White Sucker. It took the pink egg. The next 3 fish were Grayling. They took the SH. The next 3 fish were Suckers they all took the pink egg. I took the Pink egg off and replaced it with a White egg. A buddy told me this variety of Suckers has White eggs.

The next 7 fish were Cutthroats. They took the White egg. I moved farther down the shore and found Grayling again. I managed 8 or 9 of them. They all took the Soft Hackle.

All three species were keyed on a different pattern. I have never had this happen before.

In any event it was a great morning.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Pattern Specific Species

Post by letumgo » Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 pm

Where you using a floating line, or sinking setup? Curious to know more about lake fishing from shore.

Sounds like an excellent day fishing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon May 30, 2022 2:33 pm

letumgo wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 pm Where you using a floating line, or sinking setup? Curious to know more about lake fishing from shore.

Sounds like an excellent day fishing.
I use floating line. All three species are gathered at the inlet for the spawn. All three are Spring spawners. As the Creeks are flooding, it is nymphing moving water.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm

Thanks Wayne. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:46 pm

Very interesting to see how the different fish were 100% selective to a certain pattern. I wonder if that result would change if you reversed the positions of the flies?

Tight Lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:46 pm Very interesting to see how the different fish were 100% selective to a certain pattern. I wonder if that result would change if you reversed the positions of the flies?

Tight Lines- Ken
Very interesting. I wish I had done that. Odds are this will never happen to me again.