UV

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

UV

Post by DUBBN » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:51 pm

How important is UV in the way you approach fly fishing? I have threads and materials that have UV properties. I do not buy material because of their UV properties.

I was in a local flyshop last week. I do not know what lead to the conversation about UV. Some where in the conversation I mentioned my opinion that UV does not play as big a part in fooling fish as some flyfishermen believe.

What transpired surprised me a little. The gentleman at the fly shop informed me that UV beads always have and continue to garner a 20 to 1 stike advantage over non UV beads.

Thats a heck of a margin.

What are your opinions on the effectiveness of UV.

I think the guys mathematics are nuts.

No judging.

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: UV

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:31 pm

While I was at Jim's several years ago I read a book about UV and trout. Seems that nymphs do produce a bit of UV property when they are getting ready to ascend, possibly the gas bubble. Flies tied with a bit of UV do seem to catch more fish. I tied some $3 Dips using some UV Pearl Ice dub for the wing instead of deer hair. Fished both flies in tandem and the UV fly out fished the non-UV fly every time, no matter where on the leader it was.

I only tie a couple of flies using UV materials and they all perform very well.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:38 pm

Ron, I shined my Black light on my threads. I was amazed how much UVI am tying with. I doubt silk has any UV properties though.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm

I must be living in the Dark Ages; I didn't know there were UV beads!

20 to 1 strike advantage. I would like to see the data that supports that statement. Sounds like something a guy who has a lot of flies with UV beads to sell would say.

Tight Lines- Ken
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:45 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm I must be living in the Dark Ages; I didn't know there were UV beads!

20 to 1 strike advantage. I would like to see the data that supports that statement. Sounds like something a guy who has a lot of flies with UV beads to sell would say.

Tight Lines- Ken

Ken, turns out florescent can be UV.

Its 2022 man. Get with the times. You should know that.

I found out yesterday. 😂😂
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:46 pm

I have been sold on the usefulness of fluorescent (UV absorbing) materials since first reading Spinner fishing for salmon, steelhead, and trout by Jed Davis in 1985. It is especially useful for fishing deeper waters.

Next, I enjoyed reading What Fish See: Understanding optics and color shifts for designing lures and flies by Colin Kageyama in 1999.

I am not convinced about UV reflective materials. I don't know any way of checking that idea since they are invisible to the naked eye and don't respond to my black lights that I have used tested "Hot" steelhead materials with for decades in shops. UV2 gives you that fluorescent visible light spectrum.

My final thought is that peacock is not a UV absorbing or reflective material, but it sure has worked for Flyfishers for centuries. ;)
Variant

Post by Variant » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:03 pm

I have read the books mentioned by roadkill plus THE NEW SCIENTIFIC ANGLING TROUT AND ULTRAVIOLET VISION by Reed Curry.
Very interesting subject but I don’t think we will ever know for sure the effectiveness or non effectiveness of UV materials.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:54 am

I agree with Variant...
"Very interesting subject but I don’t think we will ever know for sure the effectiveness or non effectiveness of UV materials."

But for those who are making your own Tups dubbing, ask yourself if your dubbing has the natural fluorescent qualities imparted by the Ram's urine. ;) :)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:01 am

Most all of my Orange, Chartreuse, Pink and even some white materials are UV reflective. They do not Glow in the Dark, but they do reflect UV light. I have never thought trout hit at those colors because of their UV reflective qualities. I always thought they hit because they colors are attractors. I have run in to a few articles over the years that state only Juvenile trout can see the UV spectrum. I tend to agree. That does not mean that fish can not pick out bright colors. On some rivers throwing a pattern with bright orange is more of a confidence builder that on another river. The same with Pink, or chartreuse. https://www.sciencedirect.com/.../pii/0042698987901246...
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:15 am

DUBBN, Howdy;

pssst, it's called Magic. chucklin'

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin